Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thread ? >

thread ?

thread ?

Old 02-13-2013, 05:34 AM

Default thread ?

Hello, my cyber friends....this is tapper.

I have been using 100% cotton thread for machine piecing. Cotton thread is very expensive. I am thinking of changing to polycotton.
Will this make a difference to my piecing?
Do you QB members use cotton thread, polycotton or other thread for machine piecing?

I know I can depend on this board for quick replies.
Thanks.
Old 02-13-2013, 05:45 AM

I use poly cotton--probably most of us do. It is strong and not so linty as all cotton. Well, anyway, that's what I use for just about everything but embroidery!
Old 02-13-2013, 05:51 AM

I prefer cotton, but have so many spools of the poly from years of sewing clothes. I can't just throw all that thread away, so that is what I use to piece. And...I use whatever color I grab, as long as it doesn't show through. For fmq, I use cotton thread only....my 6600 seems to like it better that way.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

i've been piecing with cotton, but just switched to the polycotton as it is a bit thinner and my dear jane blocks are laying flatter.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:34 AM

I use cotton because I use cotton fabric. Poly thread will eventually cut thru cotton fabric. I'm not spending that much on fabric and all the work that goes into a quilt to have it not last as long because I tried to cut corners and use a cheaper thread. If I use cheaper thread I might as well use the cheaper fabric as well. That's just my opinion; I want my quilts to last. I wouldn't worry about it so much with clothes because we don't expect them to last generations like we do quilts.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i've been piecing with cotton, but just switched to the polycotton as it is a bit thinner and my dear jane blocks are laying flatter.
Use Aurifil 2 ply cotton; its stronger and it really makes a difference in your seems laying flat and your blocks being the right size. Its low lint too.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

I use whatever my machine likes which is almost all threads. My new favourite is Aurifil but it's not cheap at $12 a spool here.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:14 AM

Use whatever works for you and your budget.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by romanojg View Post
I use cotton because I use cotton fabric. Poly thread will eventually cut thru cotton fabric. I'm not spending that much on fabric and all the work that goes into a quilt to have it not last as long because I tried to cut corners and use a cheaper thread. If I use cheaper thread I might as well use the cheaper fabric as well. That's just my opinion; I want my quilts to last. I wouldn't worry about it so much with clothes because we don't expect them to last generations like we do quilts.
ARRRGGGHH how long will this myth prevail? This is not true, a fabrication a falsehood, been debunked. Poly thread will NOT cut through your cotton fabric over time. http://www.superiorthreads.com/education/

http://www.superiorthreads.com/educa...dition-or-myth

And if you don't want to go to the above link here is a direct quote from Dr. Bob of Superior threads

The point is this: The traditions, myths, and rumors that polyester thread will tear the quilt are not true. Under extreme use, a strong polyester thread might, but so will a strong, glazed cotton thread. Under normal use, softer non-glazed threads will not tear through the fabric and it is perfectly fine to use any type of quality thread, except nylon. Nylon will go brittle and discolor over time. Choose your threads based on quality, feel, and appearance, avoiding wiry glazed threads. Although they are rarely labeled as such, if the thread is stiff and wiry, it most likely has a glaze coating.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:18 AM

I use Marathon cotton thread. It comes in a 6000 yd cone & it's a 50wt. It goes a long way on your bobbin