Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 05:39 AM

Default Thread

Could i have some suggestions as to what kind of thread to use for a beginner machine quilter on my Brother sewing machine and any suggestions would be appreciated. Kinda nervous, have done a little before but wasn't happy with the results. Thank you
Old 07-26-2013, 05:45 AM

For what? FMQ? Piecing? Stitch-in-the-ditch? I use different threads for different things and when I am going for different looks. Or do you just mean reliable brands?
Old 07-26-2013, 05:58 AM
Power Poster

My favourite for piecing is Aurifil but any good brand of sewing thread will do for piecing. I buy machine quilting thread for machine quilting. With the machine quilting thread, I usually go for the colour I want over any particular brand. There is really good information about threads on the Superior Thread co. Web site.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:58 AM

I use Coats&Clark and have for years. I know some people don't like this brand, but it works for me. I also use Mettler and Gutermann. I have heard good things about Aurifil and the thread from Connecting Threads, which is priced very nicely. Some people also use Poly thread with good results. I think the most important thing is if your machine with like it. Some machines are picky and work better with certain threads. Good luck,Gina

And yes to what Tartan said!
Old 07-26-2013, 06:15 AM

For piecing I use Superior Threads Masterpiece. www.superiorthreads.com I use their So Fine a lot. They have a new thread out I haven't tried that might work for you. I would call them they are always glad to help. I am talking about longarm / midarm machines.
Old 07-26-2013, 06:58 AM

mettler and aurifill are my choices, but I also also have spools of coats which my machine does not like and others I have tried over the years. Silver needle advise about calling will get your questions answered ....you could gooogle you tube brother machines and see if there is help there... just remember to have fun...
Old 07-26-2013, 07:17 AM
Power Poster

Depends on what you are doing Piecing, ect. Check out Superior threads there is a lot of info there!
Old 07-26-2013, 07:50 AM

Just be careful not to buy Hand Quilting thread cause that is waxed and will mess up your machine big time. I also like Auriful, a bit pricey but you get a lot on a spool, I also use Gutterman.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Power Poster

It depends on what your machine likes. My machine won't sew Coats and Clark Dual Duty at all but she has no issues with any other thread, including Coats and Clark Star Variegated. I generally use a 50/3 cotton thread for piecing (in neutral colors) and quilting (in colors to match or contrast- depending on how I feel). I do have some polyester thread that I plan to use when the color fits. Cotton thread is a bit more linty but it doesn't bother me. My brands are Connecting Threads, Superior, Madeira, Guterman, and probably some others. I ALWAYS get mine on sale as threads can run up the bill.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:16 AM

My Brother machines will both sew happily with whatever I put in them. They are not picky at all. Use whatever gives you the look you like.