Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread >

Thread

Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 03:14 PM

Default Thread

Do you have a favorite thread for piecing? Do you use the same thread for everything or do you use different threads for piecing, quilting, hand piecing and applique?
Old 04-08-2014, 03:19 PM
Power Poster

I pretty much use Coats and Clarks in a cream color for piecing. As to hand quilting, the quilt itself sometimes "tells" me what color it wants. I have a large number of Connecting Threads colors for that and I also have about 7 colors of Dual Duty hand quilting thread, also by Coats. I don't go really crazy with different threads. I figure ladies a hundred years ago just had what they had and that was it. :-)

I forgot to mention that I use Sulky for machine applique. My Brother SQ9000 sometimes gets a "headache" when I try to use other kinds.

Last edited by Boston1954; 04-08-2014 at 03:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:19 PM

I use different thread for different things- regular sewing thread for piecing by machine or hand, hand quilting thread for hand quilting, specific thread for machine quilting. Never use hand quilting thread in your machine, it has a coating on it that can mess it up
Old 04-08-2014, 03:37 PM

I use Gutermann Polyester for all piecing, machine and hand quilting, etc. and Gutermann Top Stitch Polyester for top stitching.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:05 PM

Unless I'm using the clear monofilament thread for machine quilting, I only use cotton thread. Lately I've been reading about some of the different threads and weights and plys. The more I read the more unsure of what to use I get. I bought several of the Connecting Threads Essentials thread a while back but it seems to break easily when hand piecing. I've used Mettler Silk Finish 50/2 for piecing over the years but recently read that 3 ply is better for piecing.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

I used Mettler Silk Finish cotton thread for years in my machine for piecing. Once I tried Aurifil 50wt 2-ply, though, I never wanted to use the Mettler again. The Aurifil is very smooth, leaves almost no lint in my machine, and I can fit more on the bobbin (because it is finer than most threads). It has been plenty strong enough for machine piecing; probably would not work as well for hand piecing, though.

For hand piecing I prefer using a glace cotton thread (thread has been glazed to make it stronger, smoother, and unlikely to tangle). Glace cotton thread should not be used in a machine because it can gum up the tension.

I also like the Aurifil 50wt 2-ply a lot for quilting on my domestic machine. It isn't strong enough for frame quilting with my midarm (Voyager 17).

My favorite thread for quilting on my midarm is Glide thread, which is a trilobal polyester. I tried cotton threads first (King Tut, Signature) but had some shredding and breakage with them; never have those problems with Glide.

So far I prefer cotton thread for piecing -- especially Aurifil 50 wt 2-ply (gives me flatter, more accurate seams). I experimented for awhile with 60wt polyester in the bobbin, then with both top and bobbin, but find Aurifil top and bottom gives me better results.

The differences might seem slight to some people, but over the years I have come to appreciate the cumulative effect of slight improvements on my quilting results.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:29 PM

I use Presencia 60 weight, 3 ply in Winter White or Amost Grey for almost all my machine piecing. For hand piecing, I use Presencia 50 weight, 3 ply. I pick quilting thread depending on the project, but fr machine quilting, I usually use either YLI monofilament or DMC 50/2 cotton embroidery thread. For hand quilting, I usually use Gutterman hand quilting thread. For applique, I prefer Mettler Silk Finish 50/2 or 60/2 or monofilament. For hand applique, I use YLI silk thread.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:37 PM

I just recently bought some Aurifil 50wt. 2 ply cotton. I had heard so many say what a good thread it was, I thought I would give it a try. Boy am I impressed. So smooth & very little lint. I normally use Mettler cotton in either 40wt or 50wt. and I'm sure I will continue to use it. But, now that I have used the Aurifil, it has won me over. More Aurifil purchases in my future.
Old 04-08-2014, 06:57 PM

I use Aurifil cotton 50 wt/2 for piecing and Aurifil 50 or 40 for most quilting. I also use some polyester for a shinier more decorative look or metallic. My variegated is mainly King Tut. My monofilament is YLI.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:21 PM

I also like the Aurifil 50 ct....I am very impressed with it. I also like the King Tut and YLI thread..