Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Which thread? >

Which thread?

Which thread?

Old 07-21-2015, 06:06 AM

Default Which thread?

Hi all,

Once the abomination quilt is finished I will be moving on to my friends wedding quilt. However the theme of her wedding in Navy Blue and Cream so I was wondering what colour thread would be best for piecing and the actual quilting? I want a simple stitch-in-the-ditch quilt as I have designed a quilt and I think it would work best (also I dont own a lognarm). It has taken me 2 weeks to find the fabrics I want, but finally I have gotten the perfect one and £1 a metre cheaper (which is nice)
Old 07-21-2015, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

I usually rely on a gray thread. Not light or dark, just medium. I user Mettle 813.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:29 AM

For me, the color of the thread would depend upon whether you wanted the piecing to be the focus of the quilt or the quilting stitching to stand out more. I usually use lighter, neutral threads so the quilting doesn't stand out. But if you want your quilting to be the focus, use the darker/contrast thread.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

For piecing, I agree with Maniac, a nice medium gray. For quilting if you are doing all Stitch in the ditch I highly recommend a clear monofilament like Superior Monopoly, YLI Wonder Invisible thread or Fil Tec Essence. Not sure which one would be available to you in the UK. Modern clear monofilament thread is not the "fishing line" it used to be. It is super fine, as fine as a human hair. It does not break easily and when it does, it does not create a pokey. If you are dead set against a monofilament, I recommend a super fine thread like silk or Wonderfil (Canadian company) Invisifil in white. The thread is so fine it sinks right into the fabric so if you slip out of the ditch, which is very easy to do, it won't show unless you get your nose a few centimeters away from the quilt.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:58 AM

I use a medium gray almost exclusively to piece with- but others use colors or white/tan and love theirs just as much! I would suggest that you hold off on the quilting thread color until you are finished piecing. Keep the quilt in mind-not the wedding colors. In 20 yrs, no one but the bride will remember the wedding colors, but if you quilt it in navy blue (dark colors on light fabrics show wobbles-ask me how I know!), the wobbles will still be there! Let your piecing shine and use a thread that will show the quilting but not take the limelight. Just my humble opinion!