Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread tension >

Thread tension

Thread tension

Old 01-08-2016, 07:47 PM

Default Thread tension

I am quilting my latest project and wanted to change the top thread to white while leaving the bobbin thread baby blue. Right away I see that the bobbin thread is showing on the top. But no matter what adjustment I make it still shows, or messes up the tension of the bobbin thread.
My question is will the bobbin thread always show if it's a different color from the top thread?
Old 01-08-2016, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by kellyer21 View Post
I am quilting my latest project and wanted to change the top thread to white while leaving the bobbin thread baby blue. Right away I see that the bobbin thread is showing on the top. But no matter what adjustment I make it still shows, or messes up the tension of the bobbin thread.
My question is will the bobbin thread always show if it's a different color from the top thread?
Probably. Those are called "pokies" and I'm assuming you are doing some FMQ on it? If so they probably show up more on the curves and that's because the pull of the thread going in a different direction. While you can adjust the thread tension to almost eliminate them, you will still get some. If there's not a big contrast in the 2 threads, I'd suggest you not worry about it too much and once you wet it so that the quilting crinkles, you probably won't notice it. To check spray a little water on a section you've already quilted and see if that helps.
Old 01-08-2016, 08:26 PM

It sounds like you've adjusted the upper tension. But some people don't know they can adjust the bobbin tension. It sounds like if you tightened the bobbin tension, it would help.

I try to use the same color as the top thread, or a neutral color in the bobbin. If I have a choice of the front or the back looking better, I try to make it look better on the front.
Old 01-08-2016, 09:36 PM

I was not free motion quilting, that's down the road, I need to master regular quilting first, lol. I went back to the same color on top and bottom. The tension seems fine now.
I looked in my owner's manual for my machine but didn't see instructions on how to do that.
Thanks
Old 01-08-2016, 09:44 PM

Different thread colors are more noticeable. For best results for me I keep the same weight in both the top and bottom, jmho.
Old 01-08-2016, 10:22 PM
Power Poster

Ideally the two threads should meet in the center. If one thread is being pulled to the top, reduce the top tension. If one thread is being pulled to the bottom, reduce the bobbin tension. It isn't scary to change tensions as long as you note the setting so you can put them back later. My bobbin case has a tiny screw on it. I can change the tension by loosening or tightening that tiny screw. Take a picture of the bobbin screw before you start adjusting it so you can put the screw back if it doesn't help.
Old 01-09-2016, 01:57 AM

It's also best to use the same weight of thread on bobbin and on top.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:04 AM
Power Poster

Probably if you are doing free motion quilting.
Old 01-09-2016, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

My machines that have the drop in bobbin usually give me the pokies but the machines that have the separate bobbin case don't. One thing I learned that has really helped me, the bobbin tension should be a lot looser then I have always been taught.