Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thread for a Viking

What kind of thread do you use in your Viking? Can a Viking handle serger thread like MaxiLock? I've never tried serger thread before. I normally use Mettler 100% cotton, but those small spools are expensive. Thanks for your help.

Blog Entries
    My baby loves Aurifil. I use many different brands. The only one it doesn't like is the Connecting Threads brand. She's got expensive taste! :)

Blog Entries
    serger thread is usually short fiber and not meant to be used for regular sewing. its well worth the cost to use a good long staple thread.

Banned
    from eading many many posts here about thread it appears to me that NO one thread fits all. Many say machines have a mind of their own and definitely a preference for thread.
    You just have to try until you find oe that works best for you I have used serger thread with success. Others have not. Wish I could give you the name of the "magic bullet" but there just aint one. Personally I like the old Coats and Clark but it is hard to find. that is why I boought all that a shop had that was closing. I also got it for .25 a spool.

I use all kinds of thread in my Viking...Mettler, Sulky, Hemmingworth, Gutermann, Madeira.

I wouldn't use Maxilock (serger thread) in my Viking for piecing because serger thread is very fine, and not as strong as construction thread.

Many members here on the Quilting Board use Connecting Threads thread very successfully. It is reasonably priced. I haven't used it myself, but many swear by it.

http://www.connectingthreads.com/thr...did=HomeThread:600902

I use different threads for different things, but I pretty much use only Connecting Threads brand for piecing in all my machines -- 3 Vikings, a Pfaff, and 2 Singers (FW and treadle) -- and have never had any problems. I do have to clean out around the drop-in bobbin a little more frequently, but that's a small price to pay for good strong inexpensive thread.

I use YLI 'soft touch' in my Husqvarna 870! Love it!!

Quote Originally Posted by husker67
    What kind of thread do you use in your Viking? Can a Viking handle serger thread like MaxiLock? I've never tried serger thread before. I normally use Mettler 100% cotton, but those small spools are expensive. Thanks for your help.
    I used to have quite a time finding threads that worked well with my Viking Designer One---it seems to be the (pickiest) machine i've ever used...since i found Connecting threads i've been so much happier- I buy almost all of my threads from them now and LOVE THEM! they carry good sized cones and spools- much less expensive than what you've been buying.

there are (traditionalists) who will tell you you should only use cotton thread for quilts...but if you look around you will find that many many many many quilters----never use cotton thread....and use many different threads in their projects with wonderful success. don't limit yourself- there is a huge selection out there.
    a couple more good sources for thread...
    Atlanta Thread Company
    SuperiorThreads.

computer's using a mind of it's own this morning---

I've used the maxi-lock brand serger thread in my Viking Platinum with no problems.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast