Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Thread Weight on Gutermann

Blog Entries
    I have been studying thread and I was looking at a 1094 yd spool of Guterman thread and I can't find the weight on it anywhere. It is polyester coated cotton I think. Also do you match the weight of the thread with the needle or the fabric you are sewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackberry
    I have been studying thread and I was looking at a 1094 yd spool of Guterman thread and I can't find the weight on it anywhere. It is polyester coated cotton I think. Also do you match the weight of the thread with the needle or the fabric you are sewing.
    I don't know the weight of the thread but I think you match both the fabric and the needle size to the thread you're using.

Blog Entries
    I was wondering if you found out what the weight was for the Guterman polyester thread. I'm still looking on the websites to see if there is any information on the weight of the thread.
    Kathyj

I just looked at 2 different spools of Guterman thread. They both said 100% polyester, but no weight. They feel like 50, and are heavier than the 60 wt. thread that is labeled. I'll be watching for the answer when you contact the company.
    Sue

See if this answers your question.

According to the Rowley Company website, GŁtermann 100% poly thread size is Tex 30.
    http://www.rowleycompany.com/product...arge-Spool.asp

According to Coats and Clark, the conversion formula for getting from Tex system to weight system is (109/TEX) * 10.
    http://www.coatsandclark.com/NR/rdon...threadsize.pdf

Therefore, GŁtermann 100% poly thread is 36.33 wt.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Blog Entries
    I also was wondering - about that. I use it for machine piecing and general sewing. Since I didn't know the wt I don't use if for anything else.
    Quilting in the Desert