Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread weights and machine quilting >

Thread weights and machine quilting

Thread weights and machine quilting

Old 11-29-2011, 05:54 PM

Default Thread weights and machine quilting

I have a Pfaff Grand Quilter on a frame and have been using King Tut thread that is 40# ELS Cotton. This thread is getting harder to come by at my local store and most of the LQS don't stock thread.
So, either I purchase online and pay for shipping or find a suitable thread.
I was/am hoping some of you could point me in the right direction. Cotton, Rayon or Polyester? The store I was in today pointed me towards the Rayon RA emb. thread, didn't think that was right.
Please help.
Kirsten
Old 11-29-2011, 05:59 PM
Power Poster

check out Superior Threads, Atlanta Thread company and Connecting Threads- i purchase quilting thread to use with my long-arm from these 3 shops regularly- and if you plan ahead- you can usually order enough to take advantage of free shipping ($50 at Connecting Threads) better to spend all that on thread & supplies than on shipping.
Old 11-29-2011, 06:00 PM

connecting threads has a great sale on right now, 40% off thread sets. it works great for piecing, and is a "maybe" for fmq - works for some people not others.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:11 PM

I have also had good luck with Connecting Threads (which is 50 wt) for both piecing and FMQ on my domestic viking. It is affordable, relatively low-lint and as I make most of my quilts to be used, machine washed and dried, it is a good fit for me and they are having a super-sale on now.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:15 PM

I should have added that my machine (the viking) "likes" the connecting threads better than coats & clarks or gutermann and confess I haven't tried many others.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:29 PM
Kas

Kirsten, have you gone to the Quilt Barn in Puyallup? They carry tons of King Tut and all the other Superior threads as well as silk, Aurifil and Mettler. I wouldn't go with Rayon since it is too fragile. I have used the Superior Threads Rainbows trilobal polyester and my only advice is to use a needle made for metallics. You will be much happier!
Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 PM

My Pfaff GQ ONLY likes King Tut on top and bobbin line or aufil in the bobbin. I mainly buy the cones at quilt shows and stock up.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:10 AM

I was able to buy King Tut from one of the LQS that specializes in Long Arm Quilting. She has the Computorized Stattler Stitcher and says it's the only thing she uses unless customer requests or brings their own. Some times that won't work well and she has to discuss that with them. I paid just over $20. for 2000 yd Cone. I use it on both a 180 and 440 Bernina and haven't had a problem in over 3 years.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:21 PM

Check with Superior thread. They guarantee their thread. I've been using them for all of my machines. You can rder online or call them to place a n order. They ship pretty fast.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:33 PM

I'm about half done with my latest quilt and I'm using Connecting Threads polyester. It looks good and I have not had one thread break....of course I almost never do with my Janome 6600. It (the thread)was very inexpensive, too.

I originally bought it to use in the bobbin because I didn't want to change it so often, but decided to try it on the top when I read that others had done the same....and I'm very happy with it. I'm used to using Auriful top and bottom and this behaves the same.