Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Threads to use >

Threads to use

Threads to use

Old 05-06-2017, 04:30 PM

Default Threads to use

Hi everyone sorry but what sort of thread should I use for quilting with the machine, some have told me that I have to use special thread, and some have told me that normal thread is ok, what is the normal thread.

Idle Di
Old 05-06-2017, 08:19 PM

I don't think that there is a just for machine quilting thread. I like Aurifil 40 or 50 wt, but when I need a certain color and I don't have it I have used serger thread. Aurifil is 100% cotton and other thread that I have used are poly.

Your machine needs to like the thread that you are using because there are some quilting threads that my machine does not like, like Signature.. it just some breaks and shreds. You need a good thread that will last as long as the quilt does. This is just me, and not the quilt police. hehe

Last edited by mamagrande; 05-06-2017 at 08:20 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Power Poster

I use 40 weight thread (tex 40), and most of what I have is either American and Efird or the thread that Connecting Threads sells. There are higher quality threads that may perform a little better (less linty) but I can't afford them!

If you have to buy thread locally, like from your Joanne's store, try the Gutermann they carry. They often have their thread on sale for 'buy one, get one free'. Do NOT try to quilt with the Maxi Lock cone threads. They are of lesser strength and quality and are only meant to be used in sergers.

Some of the fancier threads are only meant for embroidery machines... so watch out for that too.

Aurifil is a very nice, higher quality thread that quilting shops carry... but it's too pricey for me, too.
Old 05-06-2017, 08:39 PM

Oh thank you I do use the Gutermann and find they are great, but have never used any other

Idle Di
Old 05-07-2017, 03:54 AM
Power Poster

If your machine is happy you can use any thread you want.
Old 05-07-2017, 04:25 AM

I'm sure there's a rule about it but I use what my machine likes best and gives me the best results. So far my machine likes aurifil, Connecting Threads cottons and polyesters, metallic embroidery thread by BFCreations. And just now finished a friend's quilt using Glide thread. Broke only once and I'm sure it was because i did something stupid and not the machine's fault. I know not to use serger threads or that's what I've been told not to use.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:01 AM

Are you talking about just FMQ or putting the pieces together. I use Aurifil for all, I love the low shred and its strong. For piecing, I use either a tan, a natural color for everything because it won't be seen. I also like it for FMQ because its strong and will hold up but use different colors depending on the fabric.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
If your machine is happy you can use any thread you want.
this is my rule. If the machine likes it, sew on!
Old 05-07-2017, 05:31 AM
Power Poster

It's not just the thread type it's the needle size and type you use with different threads too. It took me a long time to understand thread wt, ply and type was important to the needle size. Superior Threads has the recommended needle size for each type of thread on their website. Lots of thread education there for free. I use machines needles from Superior. They are Organ needles, the best in the sewing world.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:38 AM
Power Poster

most of my thread is Coats & Clark but I also don't use a long arm. I hand embroidery so use DMC floss mostly fro that. I would agree to use what your machine likes and the needle size.