Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Threads - to wax or not to wax?

I always wax (I use Thread Haven) when doing hand applique or hand quilting. As for waxing myself, I haven't tried it yet, though if my facial hair keeps growing as I get older, I may just have to start. :lol:

k3n
    Blog Entries
    though if my facial hair keeps growing as I get older, I may just have to start.
    May you never have a problem with 'bearding', Tiffany! :lol: :wink:

K x

Quote Originally Posted by mic-pa
    When I hand quilt I now use "quilting thread" which already has a wax substance on it. But if you are peicing and quilting by machine you never wax it as it will gum up you tension discs. I used to use wax before they came out with the special thread for hand quilting. marge
    I use the hand quilting thread and cut it in approx. 18" lengths. I'd prefer stopping to rethread than to untangle knots. I've read that some people thread several needles before beginning. I just use the same needle and rethread as I need. Remember this should be relaxing. We're not in a hurry. :lol:

Hand quilting thread should not be used in your machine bc of the wax. It will gunk up your machine. Use the machine quilting thread instead.

Quote Originally Posted by #1piecemaker
    If you are sewing by hand always tie your knot on the end that comes off the spool first. You will find it knots up less.
    Yes, and go with "the curl" of the thread. Makes a difference.

k3n
    Blog Entries
    Thanks girls! I'm now discipling myself to use shorter lengths. And you're absolutely right, rethreading more often IS less hassle than untangling knots!

K x

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4