Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thrift shop material find???

I was at my local thrift shop and they had a bundle of misc fabric. Some was cotton but alot of it was upholstering fabric and jersey and other stretchie material. What I want to know, would you spend $5 for a bunch of material just to get a little cotton, and could you make a quilt with all that stretchie material?

Roz
    Shelby Twp, MI

Blog Entries
    I probably would spend the $5 if I thought that there was at least a yard of cotton I could use. I probably would not use the stretchy stuff to quilt with, but you can make tote bags out of the upholstery fabric.

Blog Entries
    If I liked the cotton fabric I would, then pass the other fabrics on.

Blog Entries
    whip it up into pet blankets for the animal shelter? Donate it to someone who does Linus?

$5.00 sounds like a good price but you have to decide how much of it you'd actually use. The upholstery fabric would probably make nice bags. I wouldn't use the stretchy fabric for quilts - personal opinion. How much cotton is there vs unusable fabric?

Power Poster
    I go by how much of the fabric is usable for my purposes and by how much it would cost to buy a comparable amount "new"

and by how well I like the fabric.

I've gotten more selective - - -

I made a rag quilt out of upholstery fabric once. I love it. Too bad the ex decided he loved it more.

I've heard some talk about using T-shirt materials for quilts. I think they iron on a backing (maybe pellon) So it does not stretch when sewing... I think it would be a nice quilt. Especially if you have T-shirts with decals you like on them and put it all together. With the pellon I would assume one could use reg: cotton on back. sounds fun... Ask one of the moderators... I know Debbie mentioned doing a quilt with T-shirt materials once. have fun... :)

Quote Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
    I made a rag quilt out of upholstery fabric once. I love it. Too bad the ex decided he loved it more.
    smiling to self :)

Blog Entries
    I would. I too make purses out of the upholstery fabric. When Hancocks has their sale on upholstery, you can bet I make an effort to get there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast