Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Thrift Store Shopping--are you picky in what you buy?

Blog Entries
    So, I am a thrift store junkie and proud of it. I have often found some really neat things. I've been reading a lot about some of the fabric finds you all are picking up and so I have a question for you --- are you particular about what fabrics you find and purchase at thrift stores or do you simply say to yourself "it's fabric! I have to have it! I don't need it for any project I'm working on but I simply can't pass it up. Surely I will find a use for it." ? I am starting to view my shopping in a different way in that I no longer purchase all the fabrics I come across just because the price is great. I look it over more carefully and ask myself if I will actually use it and I no longer buy it just because it's there. I'm getting more particular and thrifty with my thrift store shopping. How about you? Are you buying just to buy?

I have to forsee some use for it... even if way down the road or for just one possibility.

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    You bring up a very good point, Joanie. I used to be like that but I've gotten a lot pickier especially since I took stock last Fall and realized I bought way too many "bargains" than I'll actually use.
    It's not a bargain if you end up never using it lol

Blog Entries
    With the prices of fabric going up, I am seeing a LOT of scrappy quilts in my future. So yes, I will not be as picky now :D:D:D

If it is something I think I may use and it is cotton. I buy it. But, I must admit the last year I have been a little more picky as I am getting way to much stach...

i look but very rarely do i buy anything even when its for pennies.

i find most of the fabric just isn't my taste and i wouldn't even enjoy using it in charity quilts.

i'd rather leave it behind for the next quilter who thinks its a real score then it buy it just cause its a good deal and have it never seen the light of day.

I am picky. I buy what I like. I am a new to quilting so I lack a stash. Put I am still picky. If I like it someone I love will like it.

If I like the fabric and the price, then I'll get it.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    I only buy 100% cotton for quilting and only Men's shirts, the larger the better, with long sleeves usually and NO stripes, nothing thin! I have found that the vast majority of shirts I buy are from Old Navy!

My storage space is crammed, so really try not to buy it or even bring it home if it is free unless I plan to make it in 2011. Lots of yarn & fabric. Must complete more projects before buying more supplies. LOLs Can still go visit new fabrics and touch. Better than going to the zoo! Ha!

Page 1 of 9 1 2 ... LastLast