Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Tilting a sewing machine

You put the door stops or tilt on the back to tilt the bed of the machine towards you. It drops your shoulders and you can see easier. No it doesn't hurt the machine at all.

Blog Entries
    Definitely going to try this. Just finished piecing a top and my upper back hurts. Maybe this will help.
    Quilting in the Desert

Quote Originally Posted by KarenK View Post
    I use rubber door stoppers found at the $ Store.
    Me too - until I got an insert for my cabinet to bring the machine bed down level with the cabinet, and now the machine sits differently in the cabinet. I really like the machine tilted, it helps a lot to see what you're doing. I kind of miss it. Maybe I'll try it again even though I have an insert. It could work!

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    This makes so much sense to me. I would never have thought of this on my own. Thank you for the suggestion. I am going to go try it right now. I'm not going to do very big a tilt, just an inch.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

Quote Originally Posted by gigi712 View Post
    I just did this and boy, what a difference! Hubster cut me a piece of trim to go under the back of my machine and another piece a little thicker to place the back of my extension table and it's great! I would highly recommend it.
    How high??

Don't know if backward or forward tilt...but DON"T do it to an embroidery machine! It has to be level for the arm to move correctly, and even a towel under one foot (or 2) will throw the calibration off!
    Would like to try it for quilting tho, seems like it would be best to tilt it from the front, so visiblity is better???

Try it both ways if you're in doubt. It works for me tilted to the front (board or whatever on back). I'd read about it here at the QB and forgot about it 'til my shoulders started hurting after a short time at the machine. It makes a big difference.
    aka Gale

I am going to give this a try. It would have never occurred to me. Thinking about it makes sense- it would tilt the stitching closer to your eye as you looked at it and you would not have to be lifting your neck higher to peer at the stitches or where you are going if stippling.

Sounds like a great idea. Especially when going to a class and sewing with the machine on a folding table and my body on a folding chair.
    Cheryl Robinson
    http://www.silverneedlestitching.com
    APQS Millenium Longarm with Intelliquilter

This is the member whose husband makes them. If he is no longer making them, please send me a PM.
    debbieumphress

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast