Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Time to cut some quilts... >

Time to cut some quilts...

Time to cut some quilts...

Old 11-22-2011, 06:09 PM

Default Time to cut some quilts...

I have finished another quilt top. So, it's time to start cutting out some more quilt tops. Do you like to cut the tops out? Do you have a super easy, organized method?
I'm not terribly organized except I put them in their little ziplocs and then into another bag with the pattern.
I'd love any tips.
K
Old 11-22-2011, 08:54 PM

But what about that top? Aren't you going to quilt it? Just kidding and join the club. :-)
When I cut I put my strips either in a drawer or in those big transparent plastic totes or
drawers...wherever there is room.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:03 PM

I do a block first to test the cutting directions as well as my color combinations. Then I cut out the rest. Once I cut out, I actually prefer to use some kind of box to prevent the pieces from getting wrinkled. Not always practical.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:07 PM

strip quilter...cut and sew, cut and sew.... and i like to chain pc so all my blocks are done at the same time....
Old 11-23-2011, 12:49 AM

I either use old shoe boxes or plastic storage containers the ones with holes in them and place all the fabric including cut pieces, scraps, backing, binding, etc in these boxes along with the pattern and even the thread for quilting all in these boxes so I know until this project is done I am not using anything I might need later.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:27 AM
BMP

I have been using 2 gallon zip bags, I include all the fabric pattern and anything else the pattern needs.
Old 11-23-2011, 04:53 AM

I love every every step of making a quilt, from the cutting to putting on the binding. I keep everything together in a small tote.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:12 AM

Empty clean boxes are not safe from me! I take empty boxes, cover them with wrapping paper or, if they're small, scrapbooking paper and use them for my projects. Empty store pizza boxes and shoe boxes work great. I can then put a lable on them and they look pretty on my project shelves. I have 6 on the shelves now. I just finished a US flag for my daughter for her birthday on Jan 1. I am now working on a Texas flag. Her home is decorated in red, white, and blue and airplanes. Her boyfriend is an airplane mechanic and is airplane crazy. She loves the Texas theme. At least the two themes are compatible.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:42 AM

I am designing an applique quilt with a large center section surrounded by blocks, each one different but all on a theme. It is taking forever to get the blocks made ready to machine applique. I'm averaging about 3 a day. They are going onto a stack by my sewing machine.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by deemail View Post
strip quilter...cut and sew, cut and sew.... and i like to chain pc so all my blocks are done at the same time....
This describes my style. Sometimes I remember to bundle fabric together for a given purchase, but I pretty much do one top and then start the cutting for the next.

In a few weeks, I'm switching gears to quilt the tops that I've been working on and to hopefully improve my machine quilting skills.

Cheers, K