Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Time for the New Year DIET resolutions!(quilt related ones) >

Time for the New Year DIET resolutions!(quilt related ones)

Time for the New Year DIET resolutions!(quilt related ones)

Old 01-01-2012, 03:16 AM

I've been quilting for 7 or 8 years, and for the first 5 or 6 bought lots of fabric and notions. Gradually the penny has dropped - I only need a very basic set of equipment, and I can't afford to have lots of expensive fabric just sitting in a drawer. So now I take a lot of convincing to buy any new notions, and buy fabric as and when I need it. It means my projects can take a while, as I won't usually buy border or backing fabric until I've finished the main part of the top and can see what it looks like and what it needs, and ditto quilting threads, so things tend to come to a halt until I can get to the quilt shop, but there's always something else to pick up in the meantime.
My New Year resolution is to continue to work on the UFOs, with an occasional new project as a reward - and to give my quilting more priority in my life. I love doing it, it brings me peace and fulfillment - so why is it the first thing to go when things get busy?
Oh yes - and eating well, exercising..blah, blah...as ever! No, I actually joined the gym a few weeks ago, and enjoy going, and the high it gives me. It's also making me more aware of what I eat, because I'm finding that I'm more aware of my body, and want to build it up and nourish it rather than undo all my hard work by eating rubbish food.
Old 01-01-2012, 03:30 AM

I resolve to buy new stuff like cutting mats and rulers, quality needles, and a few gadgets, like a bobbin winder. I resolve to save my pennies so if a Singer 15 crosses my path, its mine! Need a back up in case my lovely Sarah needs work. No swaps, no exchanges, limited charity quilts. Oh, and make something lovely for myself. I spent 2011 broke, stressed, and taking care of a lot of other people. Looking forward to 2012. And yesterday was my birthday so its a new year all around. Happy New Year, ya'll.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
I resolve to buy new stuff like cutting mats and rulers, quality needles, and a few gadgets, like a bobbin winder. I resolve to save my pennies so if a Singer 15 crosses my path, its mine! Need a back up in case my lovely Sarah needs work. No swaps, no exchanges, limited charity quilts. Oh, and make something lovely for myself. I spent 2011 broke, stressed, and taking care of a lot of other people. Looking forward to 2012. And yesterday was my birthday so its a new year all around. Happy New Year, ya'll.
I hope 2012 is YOUR year, with lots of fun, quilting and a Singer 15! Happy New Year.
Old 01-01-2012, 06:20 AM

This year I will make for my hubby and myself--others can wait!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:12 AM

Happy Birthday and Happy New Year RedMadder. I hope this year is much better to you and for you.
Originally Posted by redmadder View Post
Old 01-01-2012, 08:21 AM

I am resolved to not buy any fabric unless I need it to finish a project. I went crazy at the end of the year and between two online orders and a last-minute trip to my favorite quilt store, I need to SEW, not BUY!!! Good luck with your resolutions, everyone. As a side note, I haven't eaten sugar in 2 1/2 years and I love being sugar-free!
Old 01-01-2012, 08:32 AM
Power Poster

I am not buying anymore quilt kits this year. I have totes full of them.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:27 PM

Oh lord, I went in my craft closet and counted my WIP's. I shouldn't have done that. I was stunned to find 25 projects the first time and another 3 when I went to take pictures of my closet. I had no idea I had so many projects started.

Yes, I do solemenly (i am a terrible speller) swear, girl scouts honor, NOT to buy any fabric unless it is absolutely necessary. The only thing I found I really kinda of need is a new rotory cutting mat. And I'm not running out right away for that. I'm going to try flipping them and using my rulers first.

But, yes, I found that not only did I have all those projects...I think I have everything I need to finish them here already. Or most of them anyway. I might need batting eventually. But for now I'm good on that too.

It was a real eye opener. (and not in a good way) I find I like to collect. But, I really do enjoy quilting and creating. I think my collecting is interfering with my quilting time. So, no collecting or buying. Sigh, It's time to get down to business and finish some projects. I have "the" list. So tomorrow is a goood day to get started. Well really I started today. I made the list. (check) I went through the craft/quilt closet and assessed my supply. (check, check). So, really now the only thing left is to get started.

How are yall doing?
Old 01-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Banned

I recounted all of my WIP's...yes, I mean started already projects...39.....I am sooooooo in trouble...however, I do have everything I need to get them DONE.....please let this be MY year of finishing things previously started!