Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: tiny strings

What pattern are you making? (If that is not being too nosy) I'd love to only have a few strings left after cutting fat quarters, that would be ideal.

I would NOT have cut the top row of fabrics. There are always quilters that do charity quilts and those looked like some very nice fabrics. I would have kept the smaller stack on the left and the right for using to start and end stitching then when full, you toss them out. The tiny squares I would have said Adios to......
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Our quilt guild meets in an "arts and garden center" owned by the city. In the summer, they hold art classes for children and have asked the guild for small fabric scraps.

Blog Entries
    I am meking the falling charms but made a few changes...my center square will be 6 1/2 inch not 5 inc and the strips are 2 inch not 2 and 1/2 inch. I also fut up 3 x 6 1/2 inch for the outside border. I also cut up 2 and half x 6 which will be for the binding one I sew them all together. with the small amounts left I cut up 2 inch squares for a pillow sham or maybe a table runner for the dresser. I am making a king size and looks like I make have to cut some more squares Thank goodness for a large stash....though I do have to go back to the quilt shop for more border fabric.
    Quote Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
    I would NOT have cut the top row of fabrics. There are always quilters that do charity quilts and those looked like some very nice fabrics. I would have kept the smaller stack on the left and the right for using to start and end stitching then when full, you toss them out. The tiny squares I would have said Adios to......
    Last edited by carolaug; 11-03-2013 at 06:12 PM.

A group of us collect those trimmings to put in pet beds for the humane shelter. I use ticking for the bed cover.
    Have fun quilting! If it isn't fun, you will miss a lot.
    ali

Gay
    Blog Entries
    Why not have a go at a confetti wall hanging. I can see some lovely tropical rainforest trees and ferns in those colours.

Gay
    Blog Entries
    oops! Just googled confetti quilts and showed something totally different. Think of Monet's bridge painting - sketch a landscape outline onto fusible backing -or cotton fabric and spray with adhesive - cut strings into 1/4" or so bits, arrange [sprinkle] into positions to create a picture - press with iron to set, then use quilting or hopping foot with same-coloured threads, and meander all over to hold in place. I've seen some fabulous fabric art done like this.

A really beautiful art project can be made with scraps like you have between two sheets of soluble stabilizer. You put all the scraps and any leftover threads, yarns, etc. inside completely covering the stabilizer and then quilt/sew all over the top back and forth until the quilting is completely covering the scraps to hold them in place.

When you gently wash out the stabilizer, you have a very interesting piece of new material for another project. Batiks are great for this since they do not have a distinct wrong side.

Blog Entries
    Take a look at the work of Anne Brauer - it might change your mind about those strings!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by carolaug View Post
    I am meking the falling charms but made a few changes...my center square will be 6 1/2 inch not 5 inc and the strips are 2 inch not 2 and 1/2 inch. I also fut up 3 x 6 1/2 inch for the outside border. I also cut up 2 and half x 6 which will be for the binding one I sew them all together. with the small amounts left I cut up 2 inch squares for a pillow sham or maybe a table runner for the dresser. I am making a king size and looks like I make have to cut some more squares Thank goodness for a large stash....though I do have to go back to the quilt shop for more border fabric.

Thanks, I have a fat quarter set, I just can't seem to find a pattern I want to work it into. Though, I am itching to do something with it. Falling charms is a good one, I like the way you altered the size to fit the fat quarter. Thanks for the idea.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast