Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tip from Kitsie #2

Blog Entries
    After searching repeatedly for just the perfect curve for a new size fabric piece, even going to the barn to borrow a garbage can lid, using a pizza pan, a saucer or the microwave plate I finally got smart! Got some of the sheet template plastic (so worth the extra pennies, doesn't curl, heavier plastic) and traced different curved objects on it.

You can make tons from just one sheet by nesting them so that the inside curve is smaller than the outside. Boy, has this worked wonderfully especially for this quilt with its many curve sizes needed!

All from one 8 x 11 sheet
    Name:  Attachment-56641.gif
Views: 19
Size:  103.9 KB

This one will work!
    Name:  Attachment-56642.gif
Views: 30
Size:  120.4 KB

So you use it as a guide when you're quilting? Does it work with a free motion foot? I've thought about something like that but wondered if the foot would hop over the edge of the template.

Thanks for the tip I keep this plastic around here for templates all the time.

Blog Entries
    No - I trace around it with chalk or a marking pen, remove it, then sew the curve!

They slip into a clear sleeve in my binder quite nicely.

Kitsie,
    This was a good idea. I bit the bullet and bought a couple different type circle templets and a acrylc all in one that has the curves open to trace with. (I can't remember the name of it right now) Then if I really need something I don't have I use my french curve set I bought for dressmaking.
    This looks like it would save someone a ton of money. Nice post!

Great idea!!

Kitsie, I am so grateful for your showing these templates to us. I am just beginning totry free motion. Now I know why they say it takes "practice, practice, practice". Oh my, what a challenge that's going to be but I'm determined to learn it. So many of my wallhangings look unfinished without it. Seeing your templates gives me ideas. Thanks
    Pat

Blog Entries
    Glad to help Pat J! I'm a "ways and means" person. If you don't have the means, find the ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    After searching repeatedly for just the perfect curve for a new size fabric piece, even going to the barn to borrow a garbage can lid, using a pizza pan, a saucer or the microwave plate I finally got smart! Got some of the sheet template plastic (so worth the extra pennies, doesn't curl, heavier plastic) and traced different curved objects on it.

You can make tons from just one sheet by nesting them so that the inside curve is smaller than the outside. Boy, has this worked wonderfully especially for this quilt with its many curve sizes needed!
    great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsie
    Glad to help Pat J! I'm a "ways and means" person. If you don't have the means, find the ways.
    Kitsie, I'm with you on the "ways & means" method. I've always done that & people think I'm so smart because of the solutions I manage to come up with. LOL. They don't realize that all you have to do is use your mind & ideas come to you.

We were a Navy family (20 yrs.) so we had NO extra $ at all so I had to get creative to do crafts. Like making a birdcage from a wire coathanger.

Now my passion is my quilting. That's why I enjoy people talking about their stashes. Boy, can I relate to that.

Pat

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast