Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting >

Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting

Tip toe through the hexagons Cutie style! Cutting

Old 02-12-2010, 09:49 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by omak
ANOTHER Idea :idea: :idea: :idea:
How about taking a second ruler, using your primary to get that angle, then butt the second ruler up against your stationed first ruler ... remove the first ruler and cut along the right side of your second ruler.
Bring the first ruler back and use it as normal ...
Is that practical? <wave>
This is what I do. I use my 6 1/2" square as the butt up ruler and it works great. I can't walk round my desk as it backs up to the wall! :lol: Here's a pic.

BTW - welcome English Rose Garden lady!
Bless your little English heart <g> or, rather, your BIG English heart ... that was what I had in mind, dear ... I so appreciate your showing the two rulers working together.
Teamwork! One of the reasons this board is so good!
I mean! People actually want EVERYONE succeed at our chosen projects. Good show! <wave>
Old 02-13-2010, 01:28 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Omak - love ya! If there was a kiss-blowing smiley, I'd put it here, so consider yourself kissed! :-D
Old 02-14-2010, 12:58 PM

Cute Buns is there an inital list of supplies to purchase-fabric yardage, size of triangle ruler etc. I have been reading through the instructions but can not find everything that is needed. Is there a list of instructions that is more condensed so that there aren't so many pages.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Power Poster

We did talk on another thread on basics and fabric choices,

I can recommend one of two books, One Block Wonder (there is a sequal to that called One Block wonder Encore I believe) and the Stack-N-Wack Ipedia.

A straight ruler (preferably a longer one) , either a 60 degree ruler (the one I have is called a super 60) or if your regular ruler has the 60 degree line on it, rotary cutter and mat, and fabric,

The fabric is hard to say how much as it totally depends on what size your repeat is, and how big a quilt you would like, keep in in multiples of 6 repeats (unless you would like extra for borders. depending on your repeats you can get away with as little as a yard for a wall hanging,
Old 02-14-2010, 01:55 PM

Cute Buns ---I have been all through the directions and I did not see a list of supplies. That is why I was asking. Can you use
Oriental fabric or does it have to be flowery prints. Thanks
Old 02-14-2010, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35100-1.htm

Here is where we talked of fabric, it is totally up to the quilter, as we see blocks being assembled there are all sorts of prints that have been used, you are looking for color more than print, a larger print with little to no background fabric.
Old 02-17-2010, 05:41 AM

I've been doing more cutting, and am really grateful for everybody's advice. It was great to know I have options! In the mid-term I may decide to buy a cutter I can use with either hand. For now I'm happy to continue to contort... Figuring that if an experienced quilter and cutter (mimisharon) is doing it, it can't be all wrong! :-)

In case it helps any other contortionists out there, I noticed one tiny thing that helped me. Wihtout thinking about it, I was laying my strips along the horizontal lines of my cutting mat. Tempting, those lines! Now I orient the strip more along the diagonal, like in the pic below; and it means I twist a bit less when cutting the line along the left (starting at the selvedge in the picture):
(And yes, that's another fabric I'm cutting there...)

Cutting cheetah
[ATTACH=CONFIG]11200[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-11200.jpe  
Old 02-17-2010, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Originally Posted by salmonsweet
Now I get it! Thanks, you two. And thanks for the welcome, k3n, I'm feeling it. You're not by any chance the English lady living in France esqmommy mentioned? (The real English lady, not just pretending like me! :lol: )
My reputation precedes me!!! Yes, that's me! So you're an imposter are you! Thought you were a fellow limey! :lol:
My grandmother was born in London. Does that make me a fellow limey ? HEE HEE HEE
Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 PM

Hi, Cutebuns!

I've been following along with this thread, but haven't started my quilt yet due to other projects in the works. I noticed that on page 30, Piedmont Quilter mentions that she cut her strips 3.25" and that her triangles at 3.75". Is that possible? Maybe she misquoted one of the sizes, but I wanted to check with you to make sure...

Thanks, Sue
Old 02-17-2010, 01:01 PM
Power Poster

I imagine that she hit the wrong key when she was typing, you loose just over 1/2 inch with it being on the angle,