Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips for ironing/pressing large quilt tops and backings please >

Tips for ironing/pressing large quilt tops and backings please

Tips for ironing/pressing large quilt tops and backings please

Old 04-22-2015, 11:11 PM

Default Tips for ironing/pressing large quilt tops and backings please

Oh dear, I think I may have bitten off more than I can chew! I have just finished piecing my quilt top and it has suddenly struck me that although it is the size I planned it to be.....in reality it is huge......96" square. The largest quilt I have done by a very long shot and whilst it is going to look great on my bed I am a bit overcome with how I am going to manage this monster!
Are there any tips or tricks for pressing such a large top and backing before basting? My ironing board is quaking in fear of the task ahead and I am perplexed as to how I can methodically press and then preserve each section without wrinkling it up when moving on to the next section. Any advice?
Old 04-22-2015, 11:23 PM

Is it possible to undo the top into quarters? These would be a more manageable size. Quilt each quarter to within about an inch off undone seams then join as quilt as you go. Hand stitching the back seam looks neater I think than trying to machine it down. Then go over the seam with a quilting line to match rest of quilting. Do this for each one and you feel the weight coming on and are glad you did it this way.

I do them this way as I hate having to manage a large quilt under a home machine.
If you don't divide you need to have something on your left to help to hold quilt up I use an ironing board. Gloves with grip, I use a new pair off ladies gardening gloves. And concentrate on the one area at a time just make sure rest not pulling.

Top tip plenty of patience.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:02 AM

Thanks Dottymo..I do have a large quilting/sewing table including a side extension to my left, my machine has a 10" throat and yes, I always use gloves for grip. My concern is about the pressing and ironing process of both the top and the backing.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:39 AM
Power Poster

When I did large tops and backings (queen size) I would just carefully press from top to bottom on one side then turn and do the other side. Just do it by section.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:09 PM

Having just pressed my newest top, which is 96 x 116....I would just say it is impossible to make it perfect. I just pressed mine as well as I could, dusted off the corners that had been on the floor (I swear, I just swept the floor!!!), and moved on. I did go into it knowing I couldn't keep it as pressed looking as I wanted. It's okay although, since I quilt on my domestic, I knew it was going to get scrunched anyway.

No help am I? Well, the way I actually ironed was across.....I'd iron and then move the whole thing horizontally....then move it down and do it again.

Good luck. You can do this.

Dina
Old 04-23-2015, 06:20 PM

The following is how I do queen and king quilts

1. Complete top in 3 sections.
2. Back is to be completed as a whole<o></o>
3. Batting is to be cut into 3 equal sections<o></o>
4. Sandwich the center section of the top, 1/3 of the batting in the middle of backing.<o></o>
5. Quilt this section <o></o>
6. Lay one of the side sections on top of the center section with right sides together. Pull the backing out of the way. I usually pin the 2 sections together.<o></o>
7. Sew these two pieces together the same seam width as the rest of the quilt.<o></o>
8. Pull the backing and top out of the way and zig zag a new section of batting to the center section of batting<o></o>
9. Quilt this section from the center section out having the bulk of the quilt to the left side of the machine.<o></o>
10. Repeat numbers 6,7, 8, 9<o></o>
11. Add any boarders and quilt each boarder.<o></o>
Finish and bind.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
When I did large tops and backings (queen size) I would just carefully press from top to bottom on one side then turn and do the other side. Just do it by section.
This is my method too!
Old 04-23-2015, 11:34 PM

Originally Posted by ruby2shoes View Post
Thanks Dottymo..I do have a large quilting/sewing table including a side extension to my left, my machine has a 10" throat and yes, I always use gloves for grip. My concern is about the pressing and ironing process of both the top and the backing.
Sorry totally misread your thread. I would press in section on the largest surface you can find. Put plenty of soft fabric under and sheet on top before pressing. Then do in deliberate sections I use quarters for this as it allows for overlap . I can only do as maximum of 6ft by 3ft on one table.
Old 04-24-2015, 02:04 AM

My best tip for the quilt top is to press, press, press!​ as you sew the blocks and rows together. It's well worth taking the time to press every single seam flat while I'm sewing it. When I'm done sewing my quilt top it's ready for quilting and no further pressing is necessary. As far as the backing, just press section-by-section, back and forth, and advancing. It's about all you can do if you don't have a huge area to lay out a backing to press it. Your fabric shouldn't wrinkle up as you advance if you press it well, use starch and immediately lay it out when you're finished. I have the Press Express board my DH made for me, and it really makes pressing easier because I can press a larger area. It's one of my favorite things in my sewing room! Good luck!
http://www.connectingthreads.com/pat...__D10234D.html
Old 04-24-2015, 03:42 PM

Thanks so much everyone for your tips...I hadn't thought about using a larger surface so am delightedly eyeing off my kitchen bench as I type! I'm not feeling quite so daunted now. You guys rock!