Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tips for not stretching triangle pieces when ripping out stitches?

Tips for not stretching triangle pieces when ripping out stitches?

I'm working on my first quilt top that is all 60 degree triangles, the previous ones have been mostly rectangles/squares/HST with no bias edges. Of course I didn't sew a few rows right and need to rip out the seams. I've tried ripping out the seams as gently as possible but still feel I am getting some stretch at the corners that are mostly bias. Any suggestions on the best way to rip out these stitches and keep my remaining triangles unstretched?

You could try spraying the area with some starch and pressing it dry and then picking the stitches. Also, what I like to do is to pick out every 3rd bobbin stitch and then go back to the top and pull the thread. They all come out very easily then. Hth,Gina

I highly recommend STARCH, STARCH and more STARCH before dealing with the bias, but it needs to be done BEFORE cutting. I would also second mike's girl's method of seam ripping.

Blog Entries
    it's definitely easier to use the seam ripper on the bobbin stitches. mike's girl is right
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak THINK
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Thanks a lot! I'm starching the rows right now.

I had managed to sew some rows with 42 triangles and the rest with 43, plus the half triangles on the ends. I am taking off the half triangles and can throw they out if they are stretched but will need to not stretch the full triangles so I can add 1 more to each row.

Central Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    On one side of the piece use the seam ripper to pick out every 3rd stitch or so.
    On the reverse side of the piece lift the thread and pull it out from the released stitches.
    This way you work with the sewing thread instead of the fabric's threads.

Of, course, starch is your friend, too.

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.

I agree with the starching. it really helps to keep things in line.

I never use starch and simply lift the stitches without manipulating the fabric at all, just the sewing threads. Bias is not a problem and the fabric never stretches. It's really quite easy if you don't 'bully' anything.
    The Earth without art is just "Eh".

Power Poster
    Llay your work on a flat surface and clip the bobbin thread every third stitch or so. Flip ove the work and the top thread should pull right out without stretching the seam line.

Starch is a big help. Mary Ellen's Best Press is super, they have a new scent out called "Peaches n' Ceam". I do know that Hancock Fabrics does have it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast