Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips and tricks for Y seams? >

Tips and tricks for Y seams?

Tips and tricks for Y seams?

Old 03-24-2016, 05:38 AM

Default Tips and tricks for Y seams?

I've started a pattern with an "intermediate" designation. I'm assuming it is intermediate because it has Y seams.

I've watched a number of videos and tutorials, but am wondering about any favourite tips and tricks you all may have for Y seams?
I've done one so far which is....um...OK. But any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Watson
Old 03-24-2016, 06:23 AM
Power Poster

Sorry, I try to avoid them. I know there is a method of not doing them that way but maybe some other member will remember where that information is. Good Luck.
Old 03-24-2016, 06:53 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Sorry, I try to avoid them. I know there is a method of not doing them that way but maybe some other member will remember where that information is. Good Luck.
LOL! This would have been my answer too! I've never had them come out well, however, it's one of those sad things. If I did lots more of them, I'd get practice and probably would improve. I used to do a lot of tailored garment construction with underarm gussets without a problem, but you didn't really see them. I usually adjust the pattern and add an additional seam. I know this is not helpful. I would get a bunch of scrap fabric and practice.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:20 AM

I avoid pattern with Y seams too, never got the hang of them coming out well consistently. Sorry no help here either! Will watch for any tips from others!!
Old 03-24-2016, 07:32 AM
Power Poster

Y seams are nothing to be afraid of or to avoid. As with any, technique it does take a bit of practice but once mastered they are an invaluable tool in your quilting repertoire, especially for doing mitered borders and classic patterns like Lone Star, Lemoine Star, Attic windows and Tumbling blocks. Also to do many of the fabulous patterns by Judy Niemeyer of Quiltworx

Edyta Sitar has great step by step instructions for doing a Y seam (AKA set in seam) in her book Scrappy Firework quilts. http://www.amazon.com/Scrappy-Firewo...ds=edyta+sitar

She also has a You Tube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DBztmnqK-M

If you don't want to spring for the book one trick I used until I got adept at them was to mark the start stop dot on my units so I didn't stitch into my seam allowance. This helped me a lot. The other trick was I made a queen size Tumbling Blocks quilt with Y seams. After doing that many I got quite good at them. And now they don't intimidate me at all.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 03-24-2016 at 07:34 AM.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:38 AM
Power Poster

they are actually not terrible to do. just time consuming. I've done they by machine. But now i'm lazy and if i can make a quilt with half hexagons instead of whole ones, i'm for it!
Old 03-24-2016, 07:41 AM

Check out Deb Tucker's methods. She has rulers and methods for a lot of designs that eliminate Y seams.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:44 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Y seams are nothing to be afraid of or to avoid. As with any, technique it does take a bit of practice but once mastered they are an invaluable tool in your quilting repertoire, especially for doing mitered borders and classic patterns like Lone Star, Lemoine Star, Attic windows and Tumbling blocks. Also to do many of the fabulous patterns by Judy Niemeyer of Quiltworx

Edyta Sitar has great step by step instructions for doing a Y seam (AKA set in seam) in her book Scrappy Firework quilts. http://www.amazon.com/Scrappy-Firewo...ds=edyta+sitar

She also has a You Tube video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-DBztmnqK-M

If you don't want to spring for the book one trick I used until I got adept at them was to mark the start stop dot on my units so I didn't stitch into my seam allowance. This helped me a lot. The other trick was I made a queen size Tumbling Blocks quilt with Y seams. After doing that many I got quite good at them. And now they don't intimidate me at all.
I tried this the other day. this is a great video. no going back and clipping threads and mushing. Sew simple is what we want and Edyta shows us how.
Old 03-24-2016, 07:51 AM

Marking a dot for stopping and starting is important. So is accurate pinning. I also saw a hint that instead of back stitching right over the seam you back stitch off at an angle in the seam allowance. That allows you to easily take out the seam if needed.
Old 03-24-2016, 08:24 AM

Edyta Sitar's method makes them very doable and easy. A little bit time consuming but the more you do, the faster and easier they become. Good luck
Brenda