Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild >

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

Tired of the infamous eye roll, so I'm going to try out a guild

Old 06-07-2014, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Diane R View Post
I, like you, do not yet belong to a guild but I am considering joining. And reading your post has meaning for me as I went to a quilt show put on by the local guild today....I walked around admiring quilts, gained inspiration and considered in awe the work and artistry of each unique quilt. Which makes me want to join....maybe....

I can be a bit shy and therefore have not yet joined and after going to the show today and reading this post, now think I should.

Does anyone find that people who don't know a thing about quilting assume it's a hobby only for little old ladies with nothing else to do? It's a perception I find rampant......until they ask me if I can sew their daughter a dress or something....lol
I've been sewing since Home Ec in 8th grade. Made all my clothes through Junior year, then stopped until I had my daughter. Made TONS of things for her, including cloth dolls and accessories. Then came my son and I made a few things for him as well. I've made a maternity maid of honor dress for my sister, countless flower girl dresses, curtains, crib sheets, pillowcases, jeans, jackets, tops. After tiring of garment sewing (not really, it was more the people) I started sewing for dolls, which was fine but they don't say much.

So I taught myself to quilt, and loved it. Love it. I get excited about fabric. I love seeing the bright colors, feeling the quality, picturing what I could do with it, and am now pushing myself to venture beyond printed patters and try to figure out my own. My kids, now 27 and 21, humor me, but it's not the same as someone who *gets it*. I'm single, and have no girlfriends so unless I meet a man who sews (my fabric Prince, lol) I need to mingle with fabric-minded people. As introverted as I am, I have to do this.

I too find people are surprised when they find out I've sewn garments and THAT conversation they don't mind having, but they act as if quilting ho-hum, anyone can do it, or, that it's a waste of time. Ack!
Old 06-07-2014, 05:51 PM

This is an entertaining thread. Several of the comments made me lol.

I think your coworker is a bit rude, actually, rolling his eyes at what you like to do. Rolling his eyes at your passion is just like making a disparaging remark to you about it. Who needs that? Who needs him? I think I'd search out nicer, more understanding friends at work. And definitely join a quilt guild!
Old 06-07-2014, 06:44 PM
Power Poster

I am a "lone quilter" and when I mention it's what I do - even to close friends and co-workers, I get "Wow, you don't look like you do that!" anyone would think I was doing something illegal or "underground". I am also a manic gardener and composter....and I get the same responses...I am quite comfortable with the odd looks and comments, I just think quietly to myself "at least I do something useful and creative with my spare moments".
Old 06-07-2014, 07:12 PM

It's not just outsiders that have pre-concieved notions of who quilters are. Just a few months ago, someone on this very board was amazed that Judi Madsen (Green Fairy Quilts) was so young and pretty for such a skilled quilter.

I guess I'm lucky. I've learned not to talk about quilting in my casual relationships; too many times I've been asked to hem pants, sew on a button, or recover furniture (yes that actually happened!). But my non-quilty friends always want to see my latest quilt, or what I'm working on right now. Even the dads in my son's Boy Scout troop are fascinated.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:22 AM

What a fun thread! I have experienced so many of the things that were mentioned. Since I live in the "Ocean State" lots of people here talk about being on their boat all weekend... OMG please no thanks...unless of course one can hand-crank a machine while the boat is moving..LOL! I try to reserve one weekend day for errand-running and the other for sewing. I have a co-worker who tends to ask me "What did you make this weekend?" It's hard to explain that we can't just whip out a quilt in one day...so I just tell her that I always have multiple projects going at one time (true!) and I work on whatever I feel like doing. And since it's not a race I don't worry about when I'm going to finish them.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:58 AM

Originally Posted by Butterfli19 View Post
<eyeroll>Unless people sew, I can't mention it because they sort of don't want me to keep talking about it, like I've just told them I dropped a house on that witch in accounting, lol.
Nancy, with your great sense of humor, you'll have no trouble finding new quilty friends! I hear you!
By the way, I think this happens with any consuming interest. Unless you are talking with someone who shares your passion, you can't say much without putting the other the other person to sleep. It used to happen to me with gardening too until I found like minded friends.

</eyeroll>
Old 06-08-2014, 05:02 AM

I really wish there was a "Like" button. I would be hitting that button for alot of these replies. I just don't get people who say such things to quilters and/or people who make clothes. And then....there is the ones that say "Did you see so&so's beautiful quilt that she just made" making it sound like you couldn't possibly do that. Then a neighbor says "oh, you didn't do "so and so" type of quilting like hers are (not made in this county and bought from TV show)!
But I just keep on going....doing my simple stuff. OOPS...made this about me..SORRY
Butterfli19, do join a guild or find people who love sewing like you do.
Also this Board is fantastic on sew many levels
Old 06-08-2014, 05:02 AM

My dh and I are both very crafty. He can do anything and I sew, knit, quilt. We are lucky to have friends that seem to appreciate everything we do and when we have new people over, the older friends will grab them and show them our space and tell them all we do. Kind of cute! I'm a hairdresser and it's amazing how many people think we can only do one thing - hair. Pull out the quilt and their jaws drop - "You did that?"
Old 06-08-2014, 05:05 AM

Joining a quilting guild is one of the best things I've ever done! It's opened up a whole new world of friends who share my passion. In the beginning, I had to push myself to actually go and "put myself out there" because it was simply easier to make excuses why I should stay home and quilt by myself. It isn't easy to walk into a group of strangers, but I have met some of the dearest ladies in the guilds I've been involved in. I encourage you to join a guild and give yourself the opportunity to be with some very encouraging and talented people who "get" our obsession!
Old 06-08-2014, 05:18 AM

I usually receive good feedback. Only eye rolling comes from my daughter. My neighbour who makes fashion hats thinks I'm so clever because I have done embroidery projects for her. I've told her all I basically do is thread the needle and push the go button but I guess there is a bit more to it than that. Between quilting, embroidery, sewing, knitting & bag making, I have a diverse repertoire. Luckily BFF shares mostly the same interests and we never run out of things to talk about.