Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In a tizz. >

In a tizz.

In a tizz.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:44 AM

I am starting a class today, not nervous, totally excited and can't wait to get there....I get nervous when I go to the doctor....lololol.....

Look at this from a different perspective....Take your quilt and with pride, I doubt it's as bad as you think, as we are all our own worst critics..That's what the teachers/instructors are there for, to help you with any problems you may have...This is a great learning opportunity...Grab it, run with it, and then apply all of this wonderful new knowledge to your next project...

Hope you have a fun day!

Sandi
Old 02-11-2011, 05:55 AM

I know how you feel. But then I thought to myself...Hell I'm at an age I don't care what other's think...I'm paying for a class and advise and so are the other students.
And you will find that everyone is the class is in the same boat and your there to have FUN....your not in school having to pass a test...Even if you learn one new thing it's worth it...I love taking classes now with my attitude because I look at it as a day out with new people.
I even got up enough nerve to show some of my stuff to the owner of the QS and now I'm giving classes and believe me I'm a basic, find the easy way to do things and no presser and have fun....
Short story...took a class on turning a Sweatshirt into a patchwork jacket. Well everyone did a fab job with using 2-3 colors and made lovely jackets they could wear in public.
Me...I used every color scrap in my basket along with some trim of lace, did some machine embroideries a true crazy quilt...a coat of many colors...WhenI showed it to the teacher and class I told her she could use it as an ex: of what not to do...and we all got a good laugh. I wear it in my sewing rm on cold days....it never leaves the hse.
Old 02-11-2011, 08:08 AM

I am a 'quilt teacher' and we LOVE to help in any way we can. The best compliment I received from a student was, "I always walk away happy and glad I spent the money for any class as long as I learn ONE NEW TRICK" Now the trick I shared with this class had absolutely nothing to do with the project I was teaching, it was just a general quilting trick...

So, take your project and SHARE so YOU and OTHERS may learn.....
Old 02-11-2011, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

You are PAYING THEM to teach you! I agree with everyone who told you to bring your latest project. Just remember that anything they tell you is part of the learning process. They are not pointing out mistakes, just opportunities for improvement. If you are shy about showing your work in front of the other students, then arrive a few minutes before class and corner one of the instructors one-on-one.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:54 AM

Thanks so much everyone. This forum is so supportive. You're all correct. I took the pp top and have ended up with it squared and with borders attached. I've learnt so much today and will banish the butterflies from now on.
Old 02-11-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
why are you taking a class?

because you want to learn.

if you were already an expert you wouldn't need the class.

sooooooo ... there's no need to be embarrassed by what you believe is "not good enough". (besides ... it's probably a lot better than you think it is. :lol: )

you're paying for help to develop the skills you want. let the teacher earn her pay. take your "worst" to class so she can show you how to fix it.

trust me ... if she's a good teacher, she will jump for joy at the opportunity to help you.

:-)
i agree all the way with her
Old 02-11-2011, 01:58 PM

I'm happy it worked out for you.You've found some nice teachers,so you know you'll get your moneys worth at any class they teach.

Originally Posted by AnnieH
Thanks so much everyone. This forum is so supportive. You're all correct. I took the pp top and have ended up with it squared and with borders attached. I've learnt so much today and will banish the butterflies from now on.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:39 AM

We are all critical of our own work. We know every little pucker, larger than should be stitch and stretched triangle, but that makes it ours. No one else sees the flaws cause they aren't really that big. I am sure yours is just fine. Go to class, take your quilt top and have fun.
Old 02-12-2011, 04:49 AM

Its a class!!! Take what you have and if the teacher is nice and wise, she will make gentle suggestions if you have some errors. I teach and would not criticize a students work, only offer some suggestions to what she might try to make it better. In my book there is NO bad work, just work that may need some tweeking. I also have samples to show of when I started quilting years ago. Gives them lots of encouragement to see that I started at the same place they are starting.
Old 02-12-2011, 05:03 AM

I would be nervous too. I think that everyone has times when they feel that their projects will not measure up to the expectations of the teachers or other students. Even as long as I have been sewing I feel that my work could be better. Jeanniebelle