Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tme for a new cutting mat.. Which one ??? >

Tme for a new cutting mat.. Which one ???

Tme for a new cutting mat.. Which one ???

Old 12-05-2016, 10:56 AM

Default Tme for a new cutting mat.. Which one ???

After almost 20 plus years I have decided to replace my really old worn out cutting mat. (gasp!) Was in JA's yesterday to see what they had. Each manufacturer has its own color, substance material and price! So there about 8 to choose from...Where to begin? I have used the 24x36 green Olfa mat for years. Any body want to chime in here with pros and cons for any mats..... ? Hard surface vs self healing ? any info will be helpful.. Thanks in advance !! I also wonder about buying thru web sites that send in the mail... don't they get bent????
Old 12-05-2016, 11:21 AM

I like the Olfa mats. Last year that is what I wanted for Christmas, and my DH ordered them on-line. The box they came in was huge, so the mats shipped flat. (My DH just wrapped the box they came in.) I have used the same Olfa mat for close to 30 years, so hope the same quality remain. Also, I am used to the green color so decided to stick with it.
Old 12-05-2016, 11:58 AM

Definitely, get a self-healing mat. Your blades will last much longer, as will the mat.

I love love love my Martelli cutting mat. I bought it online, and they mailed it in a huge flat cardboard box. One of the reasons I bought it is that you can leave it in a hot car, and it doesn't warp (I haven't tested this, but it's one of their claims). It can also be rolled for storage (although I store mine flat). It has a purple side and a yellow side, so if it's hard to see your fabric you can flip it over and work on the other side with good visibility.

You can see more about the Martelli mats here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo3F8NQlN74
Old 12-05-2016, 12:11 PM
Power Poster

I love the Olfa mats, also!
Old 12-05-2016, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

I have Olfa mats and like them, but sometimes the green color matches the fabric too closely. I recently bought one of these mats - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It was shipped flat, so no worries there. The two sides are both useful, with pink and blue so you can always get something that doesn't match the fabric you're cutting, and it's extra thick. The only downside is that the size is not what you expect - the grid is only 23x35, not 24x36 as advertised. I just have to remember when measuring yardage against it that I'm measuring 35" at a time, not 36".

The first mat I bought was grey with orange lines, Fiskar's I think. I had difficulty seeing those lines.
Old 12-05-2016, 01:59 PM
Power Poster

I would say Olfa too. i have two but one is from 1991 and I"m still using it.
Old 12-05-2016, 02:00 PM

I am an Olfa snob. Nothing else for me.
Old 12-05-2016, 03:52 PM

I've only used Olfa's as well but honestly have no reason to go elsewhere. I have several in different sizes and am happy with them all.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:01 PM

I use the 24x36 Olfa mat on the un-gridded side. I have my old whitish-grey Fiskars mat underneath it with enough of the measurements showing that I can quickly estimate with it.

A lot of folks complain about the chemical odor that they detect (China's factories are notorious for that) when shipped in a box and sat for awhile. For that reason, I bought mine at JA, chose one from the back of the rack , figuring it had been there airing out the longest. Gave it a sniff test and wasn't overpowered by it. It's been fine in my house.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

I have no intention of using the same mat for 20 years. I have every brand of mat except the Quilter's Select one. I have the Omnigrid no line 36" mat on my cutting table, made for Fons and Porter. It's been an excellent one. I have Olfa, Fiskars, June Taylor, Polar, Sullivan's, and a few drafting cutting mats. A few I forgot the name. All work fine. Hard surface mats, the rotary blade roll on top, the self healing, the blade has to cut the mat for it to heal. I buy a mat when I see one on clearance. I have two or three big ones behind the bookcase for future use.