Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
too many Christmas quilts >

too many Christmas quilts

too many Christmas quilts

Old 11-23-2014, 05:55 AM

You can't have too many Christmas quilts! I have made several as gifts & have 3 for myself. I am always looking for new patterns for Christmas quilts. I especially like making the appliquéd ones.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:45 AM
Power Poster

I have yet to make a Christmas themed quilt big enough to wrap up in or put on a bed but I have made numerous wall hangings with a Christmas theme. A Christmas themed quilt is definitely on my bucket list. I just haven't decided what I want to make yet. Unlike many, my Christmas themed fabric stash is very sparse but I do have a lot of greens and a smattering of reds.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:48 AM

I have limited storage space, am not into "cutesy", don't have kids and refuse to buy seasonal fabrics. It is hard enough to get people to not put a quilt in the closet for fear of messing it up. One Christmas, or any holiday quilt is too much for me. Same goes for holiday hand towels, pot holders, etc.
Old 11-23-2014, 11:14 AM

I guess I'm different. I admire them, but I really have just one quilt and a couple of Christmas throws. I get them out with the Christmas decorations and put them away at the end. Because of that, I'd rather not focus on making them--as they have limited usage.

And I'm not very tempted by all the table runners, etc. They are gorgeous, but I've found that I'm constantly using my table and a runner is inconvenient!
Old 11-23-2014, 10:48 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

15 years ago I made a red and white double Irish chain which I handquilted with green thread in tree and snowflake designs I created. I loved that quilt and used it every year in December and January. Somewhere along the line I either sold or lost or misplaced that quilt and I've been lost without it ever since. Lost my heart for making another Christmas quilt. Maybe "someday" I'll remake that one.

Jan in VA
Old 11-24-2014, 04:19 AM

I have a rag Snowman quilt thats reverse the front of him has his face coal eyes nose and mouth the carrot and he has a christmas vest with buttons when you turn him around all you see is his shape and the back of the vest. 12 hours to cut out all the blocks three wks of constantly sewing after work and three days to do the ragging. Fits a twin bed. After all that investment he has never been off my couch I use him year round. Have a pattern to do a tree and Santa the same way. This is also the 2nd quilt I ever made. So very proud of him. 1st quilt was just a block quilt plain with 2 fabrics that I bought at a yard sale for 2.00 that someone had already cut the squares and lost interest in the quilt. My SIL made the same quilt but did it as a wall hanging using browns material for the vest and football buttons for his buttons on the vest. She does put hers away.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:24 AM
Power Poster

I haven't made a Christmas quilt W/Christmas fabrics. I do want to as I have lots of Christmas fabrics. Just always make a different quilt.

I do have lots of quilts stored because I just keep making them. My family has several each.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:52 AM

I love christmas quilts and have four done and am working on two more. Halloween quilts in my house are out of control. Every year I see a new and adorable pattern and have to make it. My family loves curling up under quilts so they all get used. Happy quilts are fun to make and like old friends when you pull them out each year.
Old 11-24-2014, 05:05 AM

I have never made a Christmas quilt and actually I do not plan on making one - they are gorgeous, but for two weeks, I'd rather have one to keep out 365 - I am, however, doing a cross stitch Christmas quilt (42x42) and have been working on it for four years now, at least; I am probably 1/2 done and have so many stains of Heaven only knows what they are. I am totally depending on my stain catcher to take care of that for me when I am all done. It was a gift and the only time I work on it is during Christmas when my quilt sewing is put away (Christmas tree goes there) or when I am on an airplane and have to keep my mind on something other than crashing or (like one stewardess told me once) poking my eye out with a needle. Heck, the only time I'd poke my eye out is if we were crashing, so why take my enjoyment away from me. That's what I told her. TO NO AVAIL! Worst trip I ever took, ever.

So that's my story on Christmas quilts. Happy Thanksgiving! Edie
Old 11-24-2014, 05:07 AM

Christmas quilts are my favorites. Since I started quilting 4 years ago, I have made dozens. In fact, my first two quilts were Christmas quilts. I do not have any for myself. I give them to my children and my grandchildren. I think that each of my daughter's three foster children have at lest 2 or 3 Christmas quilts. By next year, everyone should be able to have a different Christmas quilt on their beds each week from Thanksgiving through Christmas. This weekend, I finished quilting a "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" quilt and I have at least 4 Christmas quilts at the LAQ.