Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Topic for a Quilting Class >

Topic for a Quilting Class

Topic for a Quilting Class

Old 01-30-2011, 10:19 AM

I've been asked to teach a quilting class this Spring and I'm not sure what topic to choose. If you were going to a class, what would you most like to learn?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 AM

One thing I just enjoyed learning was the basic drafting of blocks...rule of 7/8ths, value of 1.414. It will be helpfull when I need to draft a block, enlarge or reduce the size of a block, etc.

How about the D9P, or fast half square triangles....
Old 01-30-2011, 10:32 AM

I think it would depend on who your students are. Are they beginners? If not, any certain area they want to explore? What do you feel most comfortable teaching?
Old 01-30-2011, 10:43 AM

Depends on if it's only one class or a series along with the experience level of the students.

If you get to post your subject then wait for sign ups based on your class description, you can just about choose anything you desire to share with others.

If it's a general topics class, you could show the versitality of quilting with a range of projects...quilts, wall hangings, lap robes, walker bags, purses, wallets,etc to get someone to think outside the quilting frame...then give them the opportunity to sign up for other classes on specific topics.

If it is a series, you could do the beginning basics with each week being more difficult knowing the even the most experienced can usually learn something new or being willing to "mentor" someone less skilled.

mmmm...not very specific answer but there is a lot of variables here.

Good luck and most of all, enjoy yourself
Old 01-30-2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
One thing I just enjoyed learning was the basic drafting of blocks...rule of 7/8ths, value of 1.414. It will be helpfull when I need to draft a block, enlarge or reduce the size of a block, etc.

I am just now taking this type of class and love it. My homework is cutting out HST's and squares from templates we made in class.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:53 PM

Talk to the people where you are putting on the class, they should be able to give you some guidelines as to what is a goo subject :D
Old 01-30-2011, 12:55 PM

Think about different finishing techniques. Mitering , many binding methods, praire points etc. Of particular interest amoungt my quilting friends is a completely machine stitched binding.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:58 PM

We had a guest speaker one time that went over all the things she does that the quilt police might not approve of.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:06 PM

I am a newbie and have never taken a class, but I would sign up as fast as I could for a class that taught a non-traditional block. One that would make a quilt that did not look like it had been constructed from square or rectangular blocks - where the construction was almost impossible to figure out. I would want instruction to make a quilt that I wouldn't find demonstrated in every LQS.
Whatever process - paper piecing, etc - this took would be find as long as the result looked unique. If others liked the blocked look, they could use sashings and fewer blocks.
I hope I'm able to explain this adequately. I wouldn't sign up for a class for a traditional type block unless it had a technique I wanted to learn to apply somewhere else, or unless I wanted the social atmosphere more than the teaching.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:54 PM

You all are giving me some great ideas. Thanks, but don't stop!!!