Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Totally bad experience at LQS >

Totally bad experience at LQS

Totally bad experience at LQS

Old 10-28-2010, 01:17 PM

Good for you....don't pay to be treated like that.
Not long ago we called a LQS...60 miles one way to ask if they had a certain pattern & certain ruler in stock.They said yes to both.
2 days later we called to confirm & was there 1/2 hr after they opened.
They had neither in stock....what a waste of gas/time.BTW....I dealt with the owner,so no need to complain...who would I complain to?
Oh,well. I just marked them down in my never again list....& they wonder why more & more ppl shop on line.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:22 PM

Sorry about your experience. I had one almost exactly like yours last year, during a shop hop no less. The owner wouldn't even come out to resolve what was going on. I never went back nor waste any more time with them.

What goes around eventually comes around I guess. I don't have a clue how many other customers were treated so indifferently but not even a year later the shop closed. They were opened for almost 10 years at least. From what I heard customers were coming in to see the fabrics then order online, cheaper, which frankly can happen to any store. Seems any shopper would be quite loyal to shops where you are treated fairly, even if there is cause for complaint.

Not trying to be mean about it. Guess the other LQS can benefit with one less specialty competitor.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:40 PM

I love going to one of our LQS. You always get greeted with a smile and are asked several times if you need any help or have any questions. The owner is always friendly and very helpful. The other LQS is exactly the opposite! You walk in and rarely see anybody and are never asked if you need help. The "good" shop has been doing very good business for over 30 years and the other shop seems to be doing everything it can to get customers. It won't be very difficult to figure out which shop will still be around next year.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:47 PM

I pretty much get the same thing from the quilt shop that is right around the corner from me - and this is from not only the helpers but the owner! .... therefore, I am willing to drive 1/2 an hour in two different directions from my house to go to 2 different shops where I am greeted warmly and treated well.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by quilterjody
Originally Posted by bearisgray
Spending money at these places is optional.

If the experience was unpleasant, don't repeat it.
I totally agree. Don't reward bad behavior.
I also agree. There's no room for inappropriate service. Part of the fun is shopping and chit-chatting with people who have similar interests.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:02 PM
Power Poster

yikes. they wont' be in business very long. at least the owner wasn't worried. she will have a rude awakening when she can't afford to continue to pay those lazy workers.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

WOW, and that is why some LQSs end up closing their doors because customers are voting with their wallets.

I recently went to an LQS close to work and I just needed some addition for the UFO. The owner helped me decide on selecting and when she found out that it was for community service, she asked if I had checked the sale bin. We actually did find the perfect fabric at 40% off. I so appreciated that she was not greedy. I bought more than I wanted to AND I will go back.
Old 10-28-2010, 02:32 PM

I have a bunch of mean nasty names in my mind for these blankity blank people.

I think it is horrible! I don't always carry a Coach purse when i go shopping, I don't always comb my hair (somtimes I put on a hat) especially if I am having a busy day. But just because i didn't take 2 hours to get ready, doesn't mean I can't afford to buy anything.

AND even if I CAN"T buy anything, whats the harm in looking and asking questions? Doesn't sound like they were too busy.

Grrrrrrrr
Old 10-28-2010, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
When we first moved here, my husband owned a red pickup truck. During nice weather, I drive around with the windows down and I like to listen to the stereo. As I was walking into the local salon, my daughter was going to having her hair done. I overheard a lady talking to another woman about me. She said there was a new family in town and the woman drives around blasting that awful rock and roll music. I turned the corner and said..it was Metallica and I would appreciate not being the topic of beauty parlor gossip queens.
They sat there with their mouths hanging open.
What a pity those ladies didn't share your great taste in music - I love Metallica. :thumbup:
Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Power Poster

Today I drove 40 miles to my LQS. They were busy but just as soon as possible they were helping me. They aslo stateted that certain fabrics would be 50% off on Monday and may I would like to wait to purchase then. What a surprise to tell of an upcoming sale when you are ready to buy right now. Now that's service.!