Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Toy Sewing Machine

What toy sewing machine would you recommend for a 6 year old. From what little research I have done, the toys I've seen do chain stitching. Won't that come out easily? I don't want the little one to get discouraged when her sewing comes apart. Any advice is welcome.

Blog Entries
    I bought a little Singer toy machine for my 5 yo DGD which only chain stitches. She got very frustrated with it. I am now just teaching her to sew on my singer 15-91. She sits in my lap and I push the foot pedal. I'm hoping soon to get a handcrank and we'll switch over to that.

Blog Entries
    I would not buy a toy machine. My DGD(who is 5) wanted one and we had Santa Claus leave her a Janome last Christmas. Can't remember the name, but it was only $49. It doesn't have a light or an on/off switch, and in hindsight, I wish we bought her one that did.

I bought a toy one for neice too, and it was just junk!

You can get a Janome Jem on sale at Hancock for less than most toy machines. I think it would work much better and last longer for her than a toy one.

I hear those are a waste of money and it is better to just get a real machine and teach them and watch them closely to make sure they are observing safety. Some people have kids younger than that on here sewing on real machines. You just really need to emphasize the safety some kids are better at that than others. When my daughter hits about five I will just give her my cheap brother and teach her to sew on that. I think the kids will enjoy it much better too.

I have only seen one modern "toy" sewing machine that really has potential to encourage a new little seamstress. It is a Hello Kitty machine by Janome - http://www.target.com/Hello-Kitty-Se.../dp/B000B8WSJ2 It's actually quite a competent little machine and not a toy at all. :)

You can buy a similar machine without the Hello Kitty coloration - http://cgi.ebay.com/160634372459

Adult quilters buy these tiny machines for classes and such.

Most chainstitch sewing machines are so frustrating to operate that they can turn a child off of sewing. You at least want the machine to sew a decent seam. These have several different stitches and take ordinary feet and accessories. Plus they sew slowly, so that a child won't be intimidated.

I bought the Sew Mini for my granddaughter because she was scared of her mom's big machine - she feels more confidence with this one and that's important for someone learning a new skill. :)

Quote Originally Posted by grammyp
    You can get a Janome Jem on sale at Hancock for less than most toy machines. I think it would work much better and last longer for her than a toy one.
    I agree with this! Something she can grow with! Janome Jem's are a great little machine. I have one!

Banned
    Get her a vintage 3/4 machine like a Singer 185J or a 99. They both are drop in bobbins, easy to work on and parts are readily available if something ever does happen. I did a machine for one of our members daughter for her Christmas present and she really enjoyed it. She was 8yo and it was a perfect fit for her and it is built like a tank so she can use it like she stole it!!

Billy

Custom Barbie Pink 185K
    Name:  Attachment-242845.jpe
Views: 28
Size:  38.6 KB

Quote Originally Posted by leggz48
    What toy sewing machine would you recommend for a 6 year old. From what little research I have done, the toys I've seen do chain stitching. Won't that come out easily? I don't want the little one to get discouraged when her sewing comes apart. Any advice is welcome.
    Personally I'd invest in the simplest real machine you can find. Perhaps a used one. She'll probably be sewing like a champ before the year's out. AND REALLY SEWING, not play sewing.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast