Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tracing for FMQ >

Tracing for FMQ

Tracing for FMQ

Old 11-13-2016, 10:22 AM

Default Tracing for FMQ

I have been practicing fmq but I am still not consistent. Is there a way to trace on the quilt? Please tell me how to do this if it's possible. As always thank you!
Old 11-13-2016, 10:52 AM
Power Poster

Yes, you can definitely do that .... I sometimes sketch on the design that I want.
What I find works best (for me!) is to not feel bound by the sketched design .... I use it as a guide, and let the FMQing be somewhat free. So while I have marked for it to swoop in a specific way, I may end up swooping a bigger one, or put in an extra curl or whatever as I go. Or I may have sketched a flower and then when I FMQ it, the flower may be a different size/shape. It all works in the end!

As I mentioned, the sketch line is a guide as when I try to stick right to the line, I end up with the FMQing being all jiggly and not looking smooth.

You could use any of the quilt marking methods.
Just be sure that you test first to know whether there is any risk to the marks remaining permanent.
Old 11-13-2016, 11:26 AM

I use Crayola Ultra Clean markers or crayons (all colors wash out, but yellow & brown are a bit harder to remove), The trick is not to become totally obsessed with hitting the lines. They're there for guidance & wash out so no one will know if you miss them unless you sharply change directions to get back on your marked line.
Be sure to buy ULTRA CLEAN, not the standard Washables, as only the Ultra Clean come out every single time. I soak in the tub in cold water with a Color Catcher for 20-30 minutes when the quilt is finished & then wash as usual (cold, gentlest cycle, Tide Free, tumble dry low).

My quilting definitely improved when I started marking it because I could focus on stitch formation, rather than splitting my attention with how to form the shape. As I've become more experienced, sometimes I now have the muscle memory to quilt a design without marking it, but I still find it more relaxing to have a line to follow.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:22 PM
Power Poster

If you mark for FMQ, make sure it can be removed as it is easier to sort of follow the design rather then exactly. On medium to dark fabric I use white chalk. Do not use coloured chalk or any other marking method until you have tried to remove it from a sample swatch.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:49 PM
Power Poster

they even sell stencils for this.
Old 11-13-2016, 01:59 PM

Stencils will help. All FMQ is not "winging it".
Old 11-13-2016, 02:06 PM
Power Poster

Yes you can trace on to a quilt or you can transfer the drawing using transfer paper. I have done both.

To trace on a quilt, it is easiest to do by making a light box of some sort. Google how to make a light box and you will get loads of suggestions. You can even do a simple one by supporting a piece of clear plexiglass between two chairs, place a small lamp under the plexi and you have a tracing surface.

To transfer your drawing I wrote a tutorial here:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...g-t275470.html
Old 11-13-2016, 08:09 PM

The more you doodle the design on paper will help
Old 11-14-2016, 03:14 AM

Yes, stencils and chalk pads can easily help mark your quilt top
Old 11-14-2016, 05:07 AM

I frequently draw my design in light weight vellum type paper cut to block or border size, pin it to the quilt and stitch away. I have also used the Ultra Clean Crayola markers when I plan to wash it before using it or giving it away. Works for me. I am not artistic and do not doodle well; no matter how hard I try. So, I use paper and stencils. FMQ to me means that I lower the feed dogs and direct the machine with my hands.