Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Transferring Hand Embroidery Designs to Fabric

Blog Entries
    How do you transfer hand embroidery designs from paper to fabric?

I've found these Transfer-Ease sheets that you print onto with your computer printer, but they are expensive.

I'm looking for a more frugal way to do this....Any suggestions?

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    You can buy iron on pens by Dritz. Trace the pattern. Don't forget to reverse anything you need to and then iron on. Another option is preprinted iron ons.

http://www.ericas.com/embroidery/ironontransfers.htm

You can also use a light box and place the fabric over the pattern and trace it with a water-soluable pen or very light pencil. I just held mine up against a window and traced it with a pencil.

I use the window technique, like quiltingcandy--just did this during my lunch hour as I have a great big plate glass office window. Tape up the pattern, tape the fabric over it, voila! I use gelly roll pens on the back of the fabric to mark. they're pigma and permanent, don't bleed, and are fine-lined. they don't rub off, either. I also use a glass-topped table with a big light underneath.

transfer pencils are fairly inexpensive.as in under $3..i have a red one and a black one...you trace the design with the pencil, then just iron it on. just be sure to test make sure it washes out of your fabric. i've been using transfer pencils for gosh-40+ years...every once in a while i get a fabric that does not want to give up that (pink) under my stitching but 98% of the time it washes out no problem

Blog Entries
    I have a light box that I bought for scrapbooking. Or if it's nice out and my window is clean :mrgreen: I use that method. I usually just use a regular pencil and write very lightly.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    transfer pencils are fairly inexpensive.as in under $3..i have a red one and a black one...you trace the design with the pencil, then just iron it on. just be sure to test make sure it washes out of your fabric. i've been using transfer pencils for gosh-40+ years...every once in a while i get a fabric that does not want to give up that (pink) under my stitching but 98% of the time it washes out no problem
    So, what do you trace it on? Tracing paper, regular paper, vellum???? If you use tracing paper, what brand and where can I get it?

I tape it to my patio door and trace on any white paper that I can see through. Micheals has tracing paper, or used too, I bought it about a year ago there.

Blog Entries
    I usually trace it on to freezer paper and then trace it on to muslin taped to a window. Not the easiest but it is most cost effective for me. I use an ordinary HB #2 pencil, and have never had any issues of it not washing out.