Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trapunto Dilemma >

Trapunto Dilemma

Trapunto Dilemma

Old 09-18-2016, 06:17 AM

Default Trapunto Dilemma

Decisions, decisions. Can't make up my mind which route to take.

I have a bunch of blocks, each with an appliqued motif (different geometric shape) in the middle. For example, one is a ring (circle with the center also cut out). The untrimmed block is oversized at 13.5"-ish - I left myself some wiggle room.

The blocks will finish at 12" (or thereabouts), the motifs are all 8" so the trapunto won't interfere with any block seam allowances.

I also want a real puffy trapunto so I'll probably be putting 2 or 3 layers (depends on what kind of loft I can dig up here).

Here's the dilmenna - should I....

1) Trapunto the motifs first, trim the blocks to 12.5", and then sew them together
2) Trim to 12.5" now, sew them together, and then trapunto the motifs
3) Trim to 12.5" now, trapunto the motifs, and then sew together

I'm leaning towards option 2 because I think I can better control the squareness of the quilt top as trimming the blocks will be easiest while flat. I can always baste (hand or spray) the quilt top to the shape/measurements I want when I sandwich it before I FMQ. I'll be using cotton batting.

It's a baby quilt; it's not going to Houston so I'm not looking to go overboard here with a technique. And I don't care if I lose a couple of inches overall because of the trapunto. But I'm more concerned with controlling the trapunto and having a reasonably square/straight quilt.

I've been mulling this over since 6AM and just can't commit to a plan. And I really want to get it done today.

Any thoughts/advice/experiences would be much appreciated. TIA.

Last edited by indigofab; 09-18-2016 at 06:23 AM.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:24 AM
Power Poster

Unless you are doing quilt as you go then do option #2. For exactly the reasons you state. It will be very difficult and probably very frustrating to attempt to assemble the blocks into a quilt and to ensure you have a nice square quilt if the blocks have trapunto already done prior to assembly.
Old 09-18-2016, 06:44 AM

Sounds to me that option 2 would work best, but I have no experience to base that on. Looking forward to seeing the finished quilt. I like trapunto, but have never attempted it. I stuffed figures and hand sewed them to the block, but that was somewhat difficult so I stopped halfway thru - just another unfinished project. Good Luck!
Old 09-18-2016, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

Puffy trapunto can really draw up background fabric so I would do it then trim. There are different methods of trapunto though so researched the different ways.
Old 09-18-2016, 07:59 AM

I agree with you on #2. Have you tried Warm & Plush? It's the thickest cotton batting on the market & is great for faux trapunto!
Old 09-18-2016, 08:02 AM

I did two layers of w/n and it still wasn't enough puff for me, and then the lady that quilted it for me quilted over it so no puff. I would say, don't quilt over your trapunto. I didn't tell her not too, just thought she would know.