Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trapunto >

Trapunto

Trapunto

Old 02-28-2010, 08:26 AM

Has anyone done this and if you have did you find it as easy as the tutorials make it appear. I made a racetrack quilt for my grandson to play on, I quilted around the track and it does not stand out. I thought i would take the stitching out and try the trapunto on the track and race car pattern that I found. I will try to post a picture later as I am not at my house.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:08 AM

The easiest way I can describe it is to go ahead and take the stitching out. Lay the top and the batting but not the back. You only need batting on the area where the tracks are, so scrap batting works great for this. Also poly batting works better than cotton because it has more loft. Stitch around the tracks again. I use water soluble thread at this stage. Turn it upside down and cut the excess batting outside of the tracks. Make your sandwich again and quilt as you were planning. I would suggest to use a much heavier quilting outside of the trapunto area to make it pop up more. When finished spray the quilt or go ahead and wash it to make the water soluble thread dissapear. You could leave it and it will go away the first time the quilt is washed, but you may have double lines for a while. If you decide to wash it, while it is wet you can block it, square and bind. Please feel free to ask if this was not clear enough.
Old 02-28-2010, 09:42 AM

definitely give it a go. If you do the trapunto and then do heavy quilting around where the trapunto is the affect will be fantastic. The poly was also a great suggestion. I just finished doing a small block of trapunto. I had a couple of false starts but I'm really happy I did it.
Old 02-28-2010, 10:33 AM

I have never tried it.
Old 02-28-2010, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

When I tried using poly, I had to be very careful not to press it with the iron as it would flatten. I used cotton batting and in one case a double layer of it under the trapunto.
Old 03-01-2010, 07:40 AM

Here is what I have done so far
Attached Thumbnails attachment-25613.jpe   attachment-25614.jpe   attachment-25615.jpe  
Old 03-01-2010, 08:09 AM

That is so cool. It's going to be great when you are finished with the trapunto and the extra quilting around the trapunto area.