Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: treadle machine

Blog Entries
    So glad you got your Black Friday deal. Treadles are another workhorse. Love these old machines. I now have 5 treadles. One is going to MIL, as she doesn't like new ones.
    sew1

Quote Originally Posted by sew_southern View Post
    So i went back to the estate sale to look at the machine again. While there I noticed a "desk" with its back to me and covered with pillows. I asked about it and the elderly lady having the sale says "oh, its a large custom made sewing cabinet". Well I got it turned around and it had drawers & shelves galore, just needs to be cleaned up. She was needing to get rid of this "big, heavy stuff" so I offered her $50 for both pieces and she took it! Happy Black Friday to me! Lol
    Wow!!!!!!!!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

I am looking for a treadle cause I want a sewing shed outback of my very small house. I need to reclaim my space and I want to be able to sew in it and the only electric will be an extension line. I have bins and bins of fabric and a couple of very old machines that I will be able to put out in it after it is insulated.

I just bought a treadle, delivered last week. DH cleaned and oil an repaired anything that needed it! I am now sewing a baby quilt on it! I cannot beleive how wonderful it is! Yes, I would get it!$40 is a great price!

I'm probably just going to make it real pretty and use for decoration, I will try sewing on it first though. First I want to find it's age.
    ...the importance of one's life lies not in money or celebrity, but in doing the right thing, even in silence or secrecy, and without reward... Fergus M. Bordewich

I agree with dee. We have a lot of power outages and one thing you can do without electricity is sew. I have one of those LCD lanterns and with the treadle can sew without electricity.

Blog Entries
    I think that if you really want one and you are up to the work of using it, you should get it. I learned at a very young age to sew on my Mom's treadle machine and I loved it. She traded it in for an electric Kingston in the early fifties. She is sorry she did. She loves her Kingston which she still uses and maintains herself, but she would like to have her treadle back. I had recently decided that my sewing room was in need of one, too. Then my DH told me he would be happy to help me find one except he didn't think I would be able to use it because of my arthritis, fibromyalgia, osteoporosis and diabetic neuropathy. Saddened, I had to agree. I love to think of others using the wonderful old treadles though. So If you decide to get it, please use it for me, too.

How fun!! I learned to sew on my great grandmothers old treadle machine as a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by sew_southern View Post
    So i went back to the estate sale to look at the machine again. While there I noticed a "desk" with its back to me and covered with pillows. I asked about it and the elderly lady having the sale says "oh, its a large custom made sewing cabinet". Well I got it turned around and it had drawers & shelves galore, just needs to be cleaned up. She was needing to get rid of this "big, heavy stuff" so I offered her $50 for both pieces and she took it! Happy Black Friday to me! Lol
    WHAT A FIND! That is great. I love my treadle. Use it for everything. I don't make small items any more so my Brother gets a rest. The brother travels to the "Sit & Sew" every Wednesday but the treadle is my first love and gets used often. Again congratulations on your great finds.
    April
    Is there a doctor in the house? I just got bit by the quilting bug!

$40 is a great price.
    Lynn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast