Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
triangles already cut >

triangles already cut

triangles already cut

Old 01-10-2010, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by quiltykim
Thanks for the vote of confidence. I tried one starched a few minutes ago and it worked out fine!
Yay!! You go girl! :thumbup:
Old 01-10-2010, 04:24 PM

Good going! You're on your way!

Visualize yourself admiring your finished quilt.

Darren
Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM

OF COURSE YOU CAN....and all the practice will make you a better quilter! Just take your time when sewing (if your machine has a speed guage, lower the speed to at least 50% of maximum) and starch the living daylights out of the fabric, pressing, not ironing. I save my Joann's 40 & 40% off coupons and order the MaryEllen's Best Press from the on-line store (a gallon jug for about $25 at discounted price), and this stuff is wonderful!

Go slow, take your time, don't pull on bias. Also remember, bias edges can be very forgiving - you can stretch a little or ease in a little if you are off slightly.......

Just enjoy and post pics of your progress.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:14 PM

Thanks to everyone who helped me with the HST questions...I am happy to say my 64 HST blocks are done and with maybe one exception they are 6.5 inches like they should be. Starch is truly my friend!!! I will post a picture but my camera is currently on the fritz...so even though I am sad the Packers lost in OT at least I got alot done on my quilt...yay
Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 AM

I am so glad this story had a happy ending! The support shown on this board is wonderful!
Old 01-12-2010, 07:48 AM

Hi all, I am just sick. I am making a quilt with half square triangles and after I cut all the squares into triangles then I ready about the easy way to do half square triangles. So I have 64 squares to make and I'm afraid I will ruin everthing trying to sew these together (the bias thing and trying to keep the 1/4 all the way to the end off the point. Is all hope lost or can I get through this with the triangles I have? Thanks much! Kim
I have heard of ironing them to freezer paper or using masking tape on the seam until it is sewn. Although I am not experienced enough to have tried either one. I sew them as squares them cut them apart
Old 01-16-2010, 12:24 PM

I think pressing is important with bias edges especially.
I took a 60" ruler and centered it on my pressing board, marking it with a fine sharpie, black.
I lay the stitch line right on the black line, press, open and press. It keeps your block square. Works well with a string of sewn blocks, then just clip apart.
Joyce in MI.
Old 01-16-2010, 12:30 PM
Power Poster

Thanks to everyone who helped me with the HST questions...I am happy to say my 64 HST blocks are done and with maybe one exception they are 6.5 inches like they should be. Starch is truly my friend!!! I will post a picture but my camera is currently on the fritz...so even though I am sad the Packers lost in OT at least I got alot done on my quilt...yay
I am so happy to hear that this turned out well for you:D:D:D
Starch is my BFF too :wink: