Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are triangles evil? >

Are triangles evil?

Are triangles evil?

Old 12-09-2011, 05:29 AM

Originally Posted by jitkaau View Post
If you use the easy method for making half square triangles. it will open the door to a lot of interesting quilt designs. It is just a matter of arranging them in pleasing patterns.The method is in this tutorial link below:

http://quilting.about.com/od/quickpi...squaretria.htm
This is the very best description of how to do HST's. One little thing I might add is.......use an emery board as a ruler when marking the diagonal lines. It grips the fabric, and prevents stretching of fabric when marking the diagonal line.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:18 AM

Triangles are not evil, but my brain sure can be on some days. Be careful not to stretch the bias direction. I don't have any trouble sewing them, but sometimes I cut them too small. I'm on my way to JoAnn today to buy more fabric because I cut the setting triangles too small for the on-point Christmas quilt I'm working on. I Hate when my brain does evil things like that! BTW, this quilt has 4 bias sides on every square. It might as well be triangles!
Old 12-09-2011, 11:42 AM

You can do it
Old 12-09-2011, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by Threadbanger View Post
Hey all- I'm very new to quilting (less than a year) and as of yet have only done piecing with squares/rectangles. I am very interested in doing the fun patterns with triangles but am a bit wary. I'm afraid they will be complicated and I will end up ruining some of my precious and pretty new fabric stash. I also want to avoid overly frustrating myself. Life is stressful enough and hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable. What say you more experienced quilters? Should I just jump in or get a little more straight line experience?
Get DebTucker's trimmer. It helps make and trim HST to the correct, accurate size, which makes working with them not only painless, but fun!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:52 PM

There are all kinds of triangle helpers: Triangulations, Thangles, Stitching Lines, Triangle paper, plus other methods. The trimmers are helpful as well. I have used the Thangles, Stitching Lines, and Triangle paper. I have also used Marti Michell templates. I like all of them.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Threadbanger View Post
Hey all- I'm very new to quilting (less than a year) and as of yet have only done piecing with squares/rectangles. I am very interested in doing the fun patterns with triangles but am a bit wary. I'm afraid they will be complicated and I will end up ruining some of my precious and pretty new fabric stash. I also want to avoid overly frustrating myself. Life is stressful enough and hobbies are supposed to be enjoyable. What say you more experienced quilters? Should I just jump in or get a little more straight line experience?
I am sooo glad you asked this question. I too am fairly squeaky new to quilting and have done literally only squares and rectangles. I am drawn to so many patterns requiring HST but am terrified of any bias cut; so afraid of botching and ruining good fabric. Like you, I want what little time I have to quilt a positive experience not one of stress or frustration. I pored over each response and everyone is right. We should just go for it and (!) and enjoy our creations. This board is so amazingly helpful, encouraging and insightful! Thanks all!