Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A trick for tangled thread while hand quilting >

A trick for tangled thread while hand quilting

A trick for tangled thread while hand quilting

Old 07-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Location: in front of this dang computer instead of my Bernina!(Naples, Florida)

Originally Posted by mar32428
God bless dryer sheets. I use them to line my gardening pots to keep soil from running out the bottom. Also, in a pinch i have used them for a soft stabilizer when doing machine embroidery. I save all from the dryer.
Love that gardening tip... and I've discovered that used dryer sheets remove pet hair from my sofa even better than my vacuum does! It just rolls the hair up in a wad.

maybe we should start a new thread: 101 uses for dryer sheets!
Old 07-24-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by DebraK
I'm a beeswax gal too.
Me too...and they last forever :thumbup:
Old 07-24-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Janis
I'm late at reading the posts here, but if anyone is still watching this, do you have trouble with your needle unthreading? If so, after you thread your needle, put the point of your needle through center of the thread of the short tail that you have to keep your needle threaded. Yes, you will be splitting the thread with the needle. Pull the needle through the thread, and it will knot it's self on the needle. It is easier with thicker thread than thinner thread, but I use this with my regular sewing thread too. It keeps me from losing a needle on the floor, or where ever I am, and also will keep the needle easy to find in the pincushion as it won't come unthreaded and go into the pincushion. To unthread the needle, just pull on that short tail and you'll get a loop and can pull the thread off the needle. Try this, It really does work! I hope this helps! I'd like to know if anyone else tries this and likes doing it. Or am I the only one who does this?
That is how my mama taught me. I assume that is how her mother taught her.

In junior high home ec, the teacher said it was wrong and wouldn't let me lock the thread onto my needle in class. It was so frustrating because I was used to just dropping my needle to let my thread unwind if I had twisted it up. I must have taught half the class to do it on the sly!
Old 07-24-2011, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Carol's Quilts
I tried this over and over and couldn't do it, even with my magnifying goggles on! How on earth do you push the needle through that skinny thread? Your eyes must be a whole lot better than mine!
I have terrible vision, 20/200 in one eye and 20/500 in the other (looking forward to cataract removal!). I was taught to lock the thread onto my needle by feel, not by sight.

How I was taught was to lightly pinch the end of the thread between the thumb and index finger on my non-dominant hand. Then, without looking at it, slide the needle between my fingers until it hits the thread. Gently slide the point of the needle through the thread.

I don't think I could do it if I looked at what I was doing! The fingers hold the thread just firm enough to hold it in place but not so tightly that the thread is squished. And I move the needle slowly, so that I don't poke myself, and so that I can feel when the point hits the thread.

If I go too fast, the needle will just push the thread out of the way. Going slowly and feeling for what the needle is doing is the key.

Oh, and using a needle with a sharp point. A dull needle doesn't do it and is frustrating to sew with because you have to use more force to shove it through the fabric, then it goes too far and either your stitches are too big or you have to pull the needle back to the proper stitch length. Lots of wasted effort that can be avoided simply by using needles with truly sharp points.

It's well worth learning just for the convenience of untwisting your thread. Just drop the needle, then pinch the thread lightly where it comes out of the fabric and run your fingers down to the needle. I rarely get knotting of the thread because I let it untwist frequently.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by MsEithne
I tried this over and over and couldn't do it, even with my magnifying goggles on! How on earth do you push the needle through that skinny thread? Your eyes must be a whole lot better than mine!
I have terrible vision, 20/200 in one eye and 20/500 in the other (looking forward to cataract removal!). I was taught to lock the thread onto my needle by feel, not by sight.

How I was taught was to lightly pinch the end of the thread between the thumb and index finger on my non-dominant hand. Then, without looking at it, slide the needle between my fingers until it hits the thread. Gently slide the point of the needle through the thread.

I don't think I could do it if I looked at what I was doing! The fingers hold the thread just firm enough to hold it in place but not so tightly that the thread is squished. And I move the needle slowly, so that I don't poke myself, and so that I can feel when the point hits the thread.

If I go too fast, the needle will just push the thread out of the way. Going slowly and feeling for what the needle is doing is the key.

Oh, and using a needle with a sharp point. A dull needle doesn't do it and is frustrating to sew with because you have to use more force to shove it through the fabric, then it goes too far and either your stitches are too big or you have to pull the needle back to the proper stitch length. Lots of wasted effort that can be avoided simply by using needles with truly sharp points.

It's well worth learning just for the convenience of untwisting your thread. Just drop the needle, then pinch the thread lightly where it comes out of the fabric and run your fingers down to the needle. I rarely get knotting of the thread because I let it untwist frequently.
I'm shocked, amazed and awe-struck - your "no-peek" method actually worked for me. It's unbelievable how you can feel the resistance when the point of the needle touches the thread. Of course, I stuck the needle through the first layer of skin on my finger or thumb several times while practicing until I learned not to squeeze the thread too hard, but I think I've got it now. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

I always let my thread untwist itself by dropping the needle. I learned this as a child when I was learning to embroider. I learned to leave a good bit of distance between the needle and end of the floss so the needle didn't slip off. (I won't have to do that anymore!). This will always be one of my favorite things to do, but you can't find regular embroidery projects anymore - everything is cross-stitch which I find too repetitive and borning.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by redturtle
my grandma taught me to use beeswax...i still have the cake she used to use
You and me both!
Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 PM

I'm shocked, amazed and awe-struck - your "no-peek" method actually worked for me. It's unbelievable how you can feel the resistance when the point of the needle touches the thread. Of course, I stuck the needle through the first layer of skin on my finger or thumb several times while practicing until I learned not to squeeze the thread too hard, but I think I've got it now. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Well, you are very welcome.

Relatively few people do hand sewing any more, so I think it's important to share the little tips that make it easier.

And it is amazing what our fingers can do for us when we let them!