Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tried the FMQ

Blog Entries
    Yesterday I spent most of my day practicing free motion quilting. I like it. Not good at it but everything I've read on this board says that it takes practice, practice and more practice. The one thing that is annoying me is the stitches on the back------- they look too tight even when the top stitches look good. It's probably a tension issue but I can't seem to fix it. Will be doing more practice today.

Pam
    Keep plugging away, it is worth it!

You've probably already done this but if not tighten the top tension a little at a time and see what happens. Glad you're enjoying FMQ.

FMQ really is lots of fun. And it goes fast so you see accomplishment. Keep practicing and adjusting that top tension. Each quilt and each type of thread takes a bit of time to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger
    Yesterday I spent most of my day practicing free motion quilting. I like it. Not good at it but everything I've read on this board says that it takes practice, practice and more practice. The one thing that is annoying me is the stitches on the back------- they look too tight even when the top stitches look good. It's probably a tension issue but I can't seem to fix it. Will be doing more practice today.
    Try reducing your top tension by one number at a time until things are good top and bottom....if it is on the back of your work, it's the top tension that is the problem....

Ditter

Blog Entries
    are you still practicing!

Just keep practicing. I want to try feathers next. We'll see what happens.

Blog Entries
    Still at it. I've been trying pinning a paper pattern on the block and following the lines. It helped me get the flow. Seems to be that 'gettin' the flow' is the key to it. Tension is better but still not where I want it. Moving the block smoothly is a bit of a hassle too...I don't like the gloves much. Someone mentioned somewhere about cleaning the machine stitching area with something but I can't remember what it was...it helps make the surface smoother. Thanks all for the encouragement. I'm still a long way from doing this on a big quilt top....maybe a small wall quilt is in order.

Pam
    Ranger, I did a couple of wall hangings and then did the queen size one tht is on my bed. I marked each blank square with a feather wreath and it came out well. I am happy to say that I just got a short amr quilting machine and I won't have to do that again.

Blog Entries
    Pam, I'm thinking that if I get good at this FMQ that I'd like to have a short arm machine. Maybe I'll get back to you for info on it when I need to....of course that's a long way off!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast