Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: tried fusible batting for first time -what did I do wrong?

Blog Entries
    I tried fusible batting on a wall hanging today. I have read countless threads on here and everyone raved about it. I goofed somehow. I kept getting puckers on the front and back. I repositioned but still had puckers. Tried hand quilting in my hoop, but the sandwich seemed so stiff. I tried loosening the hoop a bit like I usually do, but it was still so stiff I couldn't really rock the needle. I had to quilt one stitch at a time. Not a happy, relaxing afternoon. Any suggestions, guys? TIA

I've never used fusible batting only the spray, which I loved. No puckers!

I used fusible batting once and it felt kind of stiff until I washed it (after quilting).
    Sorry I can't help with the pucker issue.

I dislike fusible batting. I never could quilt on it without puckers. Once the fabric was pressed down on it my pressor foot would still push the fabric enough to cause puckers. I would have to heat it again so I could left and smooth the fabric. I gave up on it a long time ago.

Banned
    when usning fusible batting, you have to hold the fuse on the fabric for 10 seconds each spot. the iron has to be super hot. You have to push down hard and hold it.

for quilting spray may be easier.

I have only used fusible batting when doing a small project. I would be very afraid of using it for anything larger than a small wall-hanging. I prefer using a basting spray. Maybe you should do some pinning or basting with a needle and thread?

Blog Entries
    Good info as always

Blog Entries
    Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it. I have taken the quilt off the fusible batting and am going to baste it onto a polyester batting instead. No more fusible for me!

Pam
    Quote Originally Posted by Joeysnana
    Thanks everyone for the input. I appreciate it. I have taken the quilt off the fusible batting and am going to baste it onto a polyester batting instead. No more fusible for me!
    Hang onto it, it might work well in something like a purse.

JUST bought my first fusible batting,but after reading all the comments,i'm afraid to useit !it's queen size,but have 12 grands &6ggrands to make quilts for,so wouldn't mind cutting it up. do you think it would e ok for twin & under?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast