Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tried my first pantograph

I made a small quilt of scrap squares just to practice on and tried a pantograph. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be. I was sort of like a drunken sailor. And I had to keep reminding myself to not let my mind wander...that's hard for me...ha. But, I stuck with it and got a bit better by the end of the quilt. Is there a book about DSM & frame quilting or using pantographs that anyone can suggest? Dee suggested an on-line machine quilters quilting forum. It's nice, but way out of my league. Although, I do like looking at their pictures.

If you are struggling, try this: Before you begin to stitch the pantograph pattern trace it with your pointer finger a few times then once or twice with your stylus or laser without turning the machine on. I know it sounds silly but it will put the "path of the pattern" in your brain. It will also help you establish a rhythm.

Blog Entries
    I find I'm more steady when I sit on a stool while working at the frame. I'm teaching myself so I just keep playing around until I find a way. Practice, practice, practice!! And enjoy the journey.

Blog Entries
    congrats on your first panto. it does get easier with practice.

congrats. remember to watch where you are going not where you are at. You know look ahead

Don't worry too much about trying to stay exactly on the line. That makes you go too slowly and 'jiggly'. Instead strive for smooth movements, even if they're off the line a bit - after all, no one will ever know as that line is not marked on the quilt!

And the suggestion to try it a few times without turning the machine on is a good one. The more you do it, the more your muscles remember the movements and the more automatic it becomes.

Quote Originally Posted by AndiR
    Don't worry too much about trying to stay exactly on the line. That makes you go too slowly and 'jiggly'. Instead strive for smooth movements, even if they're off the line a bit - after all, no one will ever know as that line is not marked on the quilt!

And the suggestion to try it a few times without turning the machine on is a good one. The more you do it, the more your muscles remember the movements and the more automatic it becomes.
    Great tips!!

Jim
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose L
    I find I'm more steady when I sit on a stool while working at the frame. I'm teaching myself so I just keep playing around until I find a way. Practice, practice, practice!! And enjoy the journey.
    AND THEN...practice some more.....................

Quote Originally Posted by AndiR

AndiR has great advice! Also look ahead of where you're going and not that where you're at. Kinda like driving a car! You'll get better as you do more.

Great advice!
    I too have just started using a laser with pantographs and have just kept practising.
    I wondered if the stylus (Pattern Perfect)would be easier and whether the product is still sold as the Qbot is nearly AU$7,000 here and way out of my league.
    I also practised a bit on free motion and tended to find that a little easier on the frame.
    Not perfect yet and no expert but noticed that I am getting better at it.
    Keep practising (I felt it was a lost cause and disheartened but didnt give up) and am getting better with each practise run.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast