Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trimming After Quilting?? >

Trimming After Quilting??

Trimming After Quilting??

Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 AM

So if you leave an extra 1/4 inch to make your 1/4 inch binding fuller, how do you do that? Do you fold it over the quilt edge or just bunch it up in there?
Old 07-29-2014, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

If I had a quilt sent out, I would prefer to have everything left on when it is sent back to me. I prefer to do my own trimming. If there is a mix-up, or botch-up - I would be peeved at myself, but I would be even more peeved at a "professional" messing up.

I think that should be one of those things added to the "discuss with customer before starting" list.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:07 PM

I don't send my quilts out but quilt them myself but when I'm done I stitch close to the edge of the front of the quilt (after I've checked for it being square and correct if necessary) and then cut the batting and backing away at the edge of the quilt. I use a 3/8" seam because that's the width of my walking foot and it is easy to follow. I use 2.5" binding and by using the 3/8" seam the binding is filled out with the batting all the way to the edge. I also stop 3/8" from the end to miter my corners. I sew to the front and hand stitch to the back. I always have some kind of a border so I don't have to worry about cutting off points or compromising the integrity of the quilt pattern by using the larger seam allowance. I like this width and feel of this size binding.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:38 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by Silver Needle View Post
Quilt judges look to see if the binding is completely full of batting so that is one reason for the extra 1/4 inch of batting and backing. Also a full binding is supposed to wear better.
I trim even with the edge and my bindings are ALWAYS full. I cut my bindings at 2.5" wide, fold, attach to the front and turn to the back to hand sew down. I feel that this handsewing is what helps me make sure the binding is well done.

Jan in VA
Old 07-30-2014, 03:31 AM

I leave a 1/4" if I'm doing a traditional binding that is sewn to the top and then turned to the back for hand stitching. If I'm doing a faux piped binding, which is sewn to the back and turn to the front to Stitch in the ditch, I have to trim to the edge of the quilt. It just causes me too much anxiety to sew the binding on blind to whether or not I'm catching the top of the quilt in the stitching.
Old 07-30-2014, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by cathyvv View Post
I trim the extra batting away, then bind. It's just easier for me to do.
Me, too. However, I have just begun committing a quilting heresy by using three inch binding strips. Previously, I cut them 2 and 1/2 inches and despite pressing the binding after sewing it to the quilt, struggled to cover the 1/4 inch seam that showed on the back. I used clips, pins and prayer and an occasional cuss word and still the bindings resisted. So, in a flash of brilliant inspiration, I cut three inch strips--not giving a wart on a pickle's worth of thought to the quilt police--and doing the handwork on my last quilt became a pleasure instead of a battle. froggyintexas
Old 07-30-2014, 08:40 AM

As a Longarmer I do not trim quilts unless I am doing the binding.
When I trim either my quilts or a customers quilt,I trim to the edge and use a 2 1/4" binding so the binding is full.
Quilt judges feel the binding to make sure it is 'full' and no air pockets re there. I have been in many quilt judges and see what they look for. Binding is the first thing they check,if not good,the quilt is rejected for further judging.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i trim mine to the edge of the quilt. instead of 2.5" binding strips, i use 2.25". this usually makes my bindings 'full'. i think it's personal preference, though.
This is how I do all of mine too.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Here's a tutorial for a very exaggerated wide binding (5½" wide strips) that will clearly show how it works.
http://www.mccallsquilting.com/conte..._WEB_BONUS.pdf

If the seam at the edge of the quilt top is greater than ¼", you will lose part of the top...points, details, overall size, or anything else. There is no need for that to happen.

There are two discussions going on...the original about leaving ¼" of extra batting just to make the standard ¼" binding fuller and the secondary one about leaving extra batting to make wider bindings full without reducing the quilt top in any way.
That reference to the McCallsquilting got me all confused! I think I'll stick to the overall average of 2.5 or 2.25 bindings. Besides my trouble is with the end and beginning coming together correctly I don't need anything else confusing me