Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Trip to Joann's today for something I needed and came home with............

Trip to Joann's today for something I needed and came home with............

assorted fabrics to make the 42" round Christmas Tabletopper from a Fons & Porter book that I bought a few weeks ago. Used my 40% off one cut and 10% off all purchases so the total for 6 assorted 1/2 yds. and 1 3/4 yds. of another fabric was $23.00. The Christmas fabric was all marked 40% off.

Standing waiting at the cutting table and the woman in front of me started talking to me...she's a quilter. She was buying the cutest dog fabric to make a quilt for a vet technician. Anyway...she was telling me her sewing room is as disaster...I said mine is too. Then she told me never to go in my sewing room in my bare feet. (I knew this but listened to her story) She does all hand quilting and was telling me about the thin long needles. One day she couldn't understand why the bottom of her foot was killing her. Went to the doctor and they took and x-ray and found that the quilting needle was embedded in her foot. The doctor won't do surgery unless she is to the point of excruciating pain. He said that he would have to cut muscles and nerves which could be more of a problem than the needle. Then she said she has dropped her rotary cutter on top of her feet numerous times but never cuts bad enough that she needed stitches. I told her that I always wear shoes when I am sewing...once in a while flip flops but not when I am cutting fabric...just sewing. She was sure chatting away with me. Just goes to show that quilters/sewers ARE a friendly group.

Glad to hear you did good at JoAnn's. My son had a sore foot for days, could not stand it anymore took him ER and the xray showed a long needle in his heel! The doc just looked at me, thought I was going to get hit with child abuse. It's funny how we meet people.
    Donna

Banned
    Blog Entries
    YIKES.....people NEED to hear and HEED her stories...sewing barefoot is such a BAD idea on so many levels....
    Thanks for sharing on her behalf!

Wow What a story, Thanks for warning us. Great finds at JoAnn's.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Power Poster
    Wow, that is something. Hard to believe that needle could go in all the way. My husband has found pins and needles, and he's not very happy about it. lol

Boy is that the truth I had a needle go threw my toe years ago. I always wear shoes now!

And it also hazardous to do handwork in bed! Both to your body and your marriage - guess how I know - and I don't do it anymore. I still layout blocks on the bed, but no pins or needles.
    ~~ Butterflies can't see their wings.
    They can't see how truly beautiful they are,
    but everyone else can. People are kinda like that. ~~

How the heck do you do that and not know??? Oh my goodness. No barefoot except when foot is on pedal.

Sounds like it's a good thing that I don't go barefooted.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wvdek View Post
    How the heck do you do that and not know??? Oh my goodness. No barefoot except when foot is on pedal.
    That's what I do! I've dropped my rotary cutter before and thankfully it was closed!!!
    No one has ever become poor by giving. - Anne Frank
    Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that. - Martin Luther King, Jr.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/TheQuiltedPig

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast