Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trip to Maine - visited Marden's >

Trip to Maine - visited Marden's

Trip to Maine - visited Marden's

Old 07-16-2016, 04:15 AM

How fun for you! I agree with a previous poster, who suggested you weigh your suitcase prior to travel. That way, even if you assume that the fabric is 6oz/yd, then you can buy to your hearts content!
Old 07-16-2016, 05:01 AM

I have only been to the Mardens in Sanford, Bonnie and her staff are wonderful.
Old 07-16-2016, 09:48 AM

I see a road trip in my future! Husband goes to Portsmouth Shipyard a few times during the year for work, I think I will tag along next time!

Thanks for info
Old 07-16-2016, 09:50 AM

Well you can always come back to Maine again for a visit. Marden's is the "go-to" place for most of us in the area and they have numerous locations around the state.

Some days you can actually see tour busses from Canada and Nova Scotia in our local Marden's parking lot and after the quilt show in August ME, which is coming up, the place is packed with quilters looking for material for new projects. I live close enough to go there every single day so I have to pace myself :-)
Old 07-16-2016, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by KnitnutBZ View Post
I live in Maine and go to Mardens whenever I get a chance. Great prices and great selections. I have seen buses from Canada there before. I go to the Waterville one mostly. The gals that work in the fabric dept are all nice and very helpful.
Agree 100% about the gals at the Waterville store. They are friendly and more then willing to help.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:00 AM
mkc

Someone here tipped me off 2 years ago to a Marden's acquisition of salvage sewing machines (major retailer had a fire). Many great deals; DH found an Elna 860 for me (Janome 9900 twin) for just $1400!

(as golfers, we've also found Titleist and Ping clubs, the most recent a Scotty Cameron 2016 putter for DH)

I bought it, when I saw it, at Marden's..... ;-)
Old 07-16-2016, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by KnitnutBZ View Post
I live in Maine and go to Mardens whenever I get a chance. Great prices and great selections. I have seen buses from Canada there before. I go to the Waterville one mostly. The gals that work in the fabric dept are all nice and very helpful.
Wow all these people from Maine, I often felt like a loner on here. Mardens is very addicting, love that place. I have talked to a lot of quilters and they only buy from their local quilt shop and look down on my work because so much of it comes from Mardens. Love to see so many other people that enjoy their fabric too. It is great stuff.
Old 07-16-2016, 02:00 PM

Just came back from Maine and went to the Waterford Marden's. Lots of pre-cuts at lovely prices and great backing prices. I am from New Brunswick and every trip to Maine is a trip to Marden's.
Old 07-17-2016, 02:58 AM

I have now lived in Maine 7 years and just discovered Marden's (in Portland) this year... It is now my "go to" place for backing and whites for sashing or background fabric.

It's nice to see so many members from Maine on this board. Anyone going to the Maine Quilt show in a couple of weeks?
Old 07-17-2016, 11:37 AM

Someone here on QB tipped me off to Marden's years ago. We vacation on the southern coast of Maine every September and sometimes more frequently. The Sanford Marden's is great but IMHO, I think the one in Scarborough is even better. The fabric department is much larger and very well organized. There are a couple of Marden stores that do not have a fabric dept. - believe Biddeford is one of them.

I keep a list of what I want to look for, including wide backing fabric. It is almost as big a vacation highlight as the lobster.