Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trouble with 1/4 inch seam - It wants to pull away. >

Trouble with 1/4 inch seam - It wants to pull away.

Trouble with 1/4 inch seam - It wants to pull away.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:02 AM

Wow, thanks for this thread! I've been struggling with a 1/4" seam forever! I'm doing a lot better with my Bernina...was sewing on a 25 yr. old Kenmore before. I just try to be consistent, and do the happy dance when everything matches!!!
Old 06-18-2012, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

The machines without dual feed (or whatever it's called) - the bottom layer next to the feed dogs will feed through just a bit faster than the top layer.

Which is why the layer to be eased would be on the bottom (such as a sleeve cap).

Or when sewing knits when one seam was longer than the other - the top layer would be stretched and the bottom layer would be 'relaxed' - we were told to 'sew with a relaxed bottom'
Old 06-18-2012, 12:18 PM

I recently traded my Bernina 1260 for an Bernina Artista 185. I didn't spring for the embroidery module because I already own two stand alone embroidery machines and the software would not fit the Artista. It has an even wider throat plate than my 1260 so I had to purchase a seperate throatplate with just a small hole to keep it from eating small items or lightweight fabrics. Years ago I purchased a clear slide on extension table for my sewing machine. Just having what you are working on totally supported by the extra platform helps alot with getting a consistant seam. I actually broke the extension top at one of my retreats. Fortunately for me my husband is a machinist and was able to make me a new acrylic surface and use the legs from the broken one.
I think the Singer Featherweights are so popular because they create a beautiful consistant 1/4 seam. I own one and if I were to do a lot of piecing I would get it out and use it more often. My Mother had one she purchased in 1936 on which I learned to sew. I gave it to my neices after she passed away as she had taught them to sew on it and they really appreciated having it. I was lucky enough to purchase one at a yardsale in mint condition for just $20. I have taken it to the few workshops I attended just because it weighs so much less than my Bernina and is so great for piecing.
I use the trick about putting the looser fabric on the bottom and it really works to add borders especially.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:26 PM

What great information! Thanks so much!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK View Post
Some sewing machines do make it easier to get a 1/4" seam and others make it harder... I thought it was me until I got a new machine and found that my new one just "likes" to sew straight and I don't get the pulling to the inside or outside. My old one was impossible. I have a 1/4" foot with the flange --- the material rides alongside the flange to keep the seam straight. BUT my machine does not have an adjustable needle position so while I get a great 1/4" seam, I can't get the scant 1/4" to save my life.
Denek - try wrapping a single piece of masking tape on the flange - should be just enough to give you a scant ¼"... maybe!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:48 PM

that was my main gripe with my singer, the 1/4" of the seam went to a point, it is something to do with the feed dogs but I wanted a new machine anyway so I bought myself a Janome Memory Craft 6600 P. What a difference!
Old 06-18-2012, 12:58 PM

First I would check the Presser Foot pressure Next I would try using a stiletto. I cannot sew without mine. It is definately my favorite tool. Others laugh but I find it makes a difference.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:07 PM
Power Poster

Some machines have less grip on the feed dogs than others and that allows play on the seam, particularly at the end. You can use a stiletto to help guide the fabric under the needle.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Liz92B View Post
Denek - try wrapping a single piece of masking tape on the flange - should be just enough to give you a scant ¼"... maybe!
What a great idea! I will definitely try that. Thanks for suggesting.