Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
A true quilting friend..... >

A true quilting friend.....

A true quilting friend.....

Old 06-13-2014, 05:27 PM

Hope your finger heals quickly. Sorry, have to echo your friend's comment. I pricked my finger with a pin, bled on a baby quilt, tried saliva, then tried hydrogen peroxide--which took out the blood AND the blue colour in the square, then spent more than 2 hours carefully ripping out the damaged piece and resewing a new piece into the block.
Old 06-13-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Knock on wood, I have NEVER cut myself with a rotary cutter. But the other day, I stuck myself with a straight pin and didn't notice anything. I picked up some pink batiks a few minutes later and I bleed all over one batiks. Tried sucking the blood off but it didn't come out. I am going to have to work around but it blends in with the pink batik !! Lucky me.
"How," I said one day, "can anyone be stupide enough to cut herself with a rotary cutter?" Within 30 minutes I had cut myself twice with one of my rotary cutters. Once was just brushing against it because I hadn't closed it and the other time, I just ran the blade over my finger. Fortunately, I bled on the kitchen table and kitchen counter and into a paper towel. "Pride goeth before a fall," was my first thought. Well, not quite! I cussed a little bit first. froggyintexas
Old 06-14-2014, 02:31 AM

I think every single quilt I've ever made has some of my DNA on it somewhere!!
Old 06-14-2014, 05:33 AM

Years ago I too cut my finger, didn't get stitches I used Steri Strips and a glove from work (it should have had stitches - but I wanted to keep going and finish). Fast forward, DH was looking at my rotary cutter and I had to go over ALL of the rules - NO using outside, NO using on the hose, NO using on paper, etc...... I also went over not a toy, very sharp can hurt you again, etc..... He walked out of the room, then turned around and came back into see if I would like to "Go Get Stitches In Your FOOT" He had handed me back my rotary cutter open and it had fallen out of my hand as I was trying to avoid the blade, it fell onto my bare foot (I had not said a thing - it hurt, but I was hopping he didn't see it start to bleed - yes we went off for STITCHES). So LOL - I feel you and now if my DH comes around my sewing stuff, I make sure all rotary cutters are CLOSED and I have SHOES ON.
Old 06-14-2014, 05:55 AM

Hydrogen peroxide does a good job of taking out blood in fabric. (Also if you have a minor scorch mark). Good luck. I have many cuts from rotary cutters but thankfully none needed stitches. Yes, I have a klutz glove but it just does not keep me from cuts especially if I forget to put it on! LOL.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by loisf View Post
I wear a Fons & Porter Klutz Glove when cutting. It's a bit of a pain always remembering to put it on, but I know that the day I forget, I'll be sorry.
When not using my rotary cutter, I tuck it inside my Klutz glove. This way, I always have my cutter and glove together and helps me to remember to use my glove.
Old 06-14-2014, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Knock on wood, I have NEVER cut myself with a rotary cutter. But the other day, I stuck myself with a straight pin and didn't notice anything. I picked up some pink batiks a few minutes later and I bleed all over one batiks. Tried sucking the blood off but it didn't come out. I am going to have to work around but it blends in with the pink batik !! Lucky me.
I learned a neat trick, when I first started quilting in the mid 80's, from a veteran hand quilter. Put a 12" piece of thread in your mouth while quilting and if you get a spot of blood on the quilt--put the wet thread on the spot--GONE. She also stated that if YOUR blood gets on fabrics--YOUR spit will take it out.
It worked when I had to get some spots off fabric, I always washed the quilt when it was finished and no spots.
Old 06-14-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
That is a true quilting friend, and my first thought would be if I got blood on the quilt. I think sometimes we forget that the rotary cutter is a very sharp razor like tool. I had a friend who forgot to close the blade on her rotary cutter, it fell off the table where she was cutting fabric, landing on her bare foot and had to go to the emergency room for stitches; and had to be off her feet for a short while. We tell our kids not to run with scissors, we need to remind ourselves to close the rotary cutter immediately after use. It pays to be cautious.
Maybe it's just me, but closing the blade is just an automatic action for me. Just as putting on the seat belt when I get in the car. They're both a habit that I don't even really think about. And, now that I AM thinking about it, both actions became habits because of my kids, and wanting them to be safe.

So far, I've only lightly nicked myself with the rotary cutter, but the other day I came dangerously close to running the long-arm needle through my finger. (Makes me shudder just remembering how close THAT was!!) As someone else noted, we really need to be reminded that our "tools" can be rather dangerous.
Old 06-14-2014, 04:12 PM

Sorry you got cut, but also very happy you didn't get any blood on the quilt!
Old 06-14-2014, 04:18 PM

My grandmother's #1rule: Never bleed on your work!