Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
True Sharp Power Sharpener >

True Sharp Power Sharpener

True Sharp Power Sharpener

Old 12-20-2011, 01:05 PM

Default True Sharp Power Sharpener

I want to purchase a rotary blade sharpener and have been looking at the Grace Co. manual True Cut Sharpener and the True Sharp electric Sharpener. I am espcially interested in the electric sharpener. I use a Fiskars 45mm roatry cutter. Does anyone have either of these sharpeners that they use to sharpen the 45mm Fiskars blades? I have read so many pros and cons on both of these sharpeners and have come to the conclusion that each of these sharpeners might work better or worse depending on the brand of the rotary blade. I received some money for a Xmas gift and really want to purchase one of these as I live in a very rural area and the nearest JoAnn's store is 45 minutes away, so I would really like to be able to sharpen my blades--but want to buy the right sharpener. I welcome any input so I can make a decision soon so I can get one ordered. Thanks.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:57 PM

Does no one on here have this to sharpen Fiskars rotary cutter blades? Or is everyone busy with Xmas stuff and not on here today?
Old 12-20-2011, 03:23 PM

I have a cheap "hand twisting" sharpener from Joann's. I wait until there are a bunch and do them all at once. It's ok but they don't seem to last as long as a new blade.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:26 PM

Don't sharpen blades.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:09 PM

I did for awhile, but once I found JHittle .com, I quit! They're only about $1.80 each in lots of 100...so no, no sharpening! Try them, they also sell in smaller amounts, like 10.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:39 PM

I bought the True Cut Blade sharpener and was very happy with the improvement in the blade...cut with it before on a scrap and followed directions, then cut again on the same scrap.....wayyyyyy better.... it does not repair nicks, of course, but it certainly improved the cutting edge... you do 20 swipes in one direction, reverse, do 20 more, then cut in half, do 10 in each directions, the cut in half again, do 5.... then i did two, wiped blade (loved the fact that i could do it without taking the cutter apart) and was very happy with results...whole process, even the first time, was maybe 2 minutes.... well worth the effort... i got on sale for $20... at Joann's online
Old 12-21-2011, 07:44 AM

I bought a sharpener but don't remember the brand. An my DH uses it most of the time to sharpen my blades as he is a custom knifemaker and knows about doing that stuff. He even sharpens my little ripping blades for me!! Great guy!!
Old 12-23-2011, 08:04 AM

I have the True Cut Power Sharpener and I am very satisfied with it. I use the Olfa 60mm blades which are quite pricey. If I can get one or two more uses out of each blade, then I think it is worth the investment in the sharpener.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:37 AM

I have wondering about this too. I have only been reading about the power sharpener and it seems nearly everything is positive. I am curious if you purchased one? I've noticed there is a good $10+ price difference on different websites. I just did a little more checking and saw JoAnn's has it right now (online-don't know if they have it in the stores) for $38.95! much better price

Last edited by Dar-midlife; 01-03-2012 at 09:44 AM. Reason: additional information
Old 01-04-2012, 05:48 PM

Thanks for everyone's input. I ordered the True Cut electric sharpener from Connecting Threads. I just got it in the mail and ahven't tried it yet. I will let everyone know the results once I try it. Hopefully I'll get some time to try it this weekend.