Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Trying to get motivated >

Trying to get motivated

Trying to get motivated

Old 08-05-2012, 03:22 PM

My motivation is its been too darn hot and humid to be outside so it gives me an excuse to be inside and sew.
Old 08-05-2012, 03:32 PM

The past few weeks I've been working on the projects for the TV program but am taking time out to watch Olympics which I love. And yes, I yell for the USA. I know we have other countries represented on this QB and hope you are cheering for your Olympians
Old 08-05-2012, 05:01 PM
Power Poster

I think I'd sort your squares into lights and darks. If you haven't got a pattern in mind, I would start sewing them into 4 patches. There are lots of patterns that use 4 patches and that will get you started.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:09 PM

I've sewn for 2 days and not finished yet. I keep changing the size of things. That means cutting more strips, now will have to reajust the borders. I made it bigger than the pattern, now I'll be in trouble if I can't get the sides to come out right. Oh well, chalk it up to wanting things bigger than they are supposed to be.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:04 PM

I have been motivated, working on my 2nd quilt. Sewed strips then cut them into blocks last night and realized I had sewn 3 strips together with 1/2" instead of 1/4" seams. Soooo it's been rip rip rip for me today. But I did finally get one whole block sewn together today before I gave up.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:26 PM

Do exactly what you feel like doing! Why not? If the weather is nice, especially, for Pete's sake, get out and enjoy it. I'm sure you have plenty of days up there in New Hampshire at other times of the year that are perfect for staying indoors. When the weather finally gets bearable around here again (late October, if we're lucky!) I might be ready to do something other than surf the QB or sew.

Meanwhile, I think I'm seeing a lot of medium color values in that collection, and maybe you'd be more attracted to it if you had a broader range of lighter and darker fabrics for contrast. Maybe you could find someone interested in swapping some squares to stimulate some interest. Or maybe just buy a solid cotton or a tone-on-tone in either a very light or very dark color and use that to get some contrast. You could just start pairing them up light with dark, and do a few every day for awhile. Maybe make 4-patch, as someone suggested, or 9-patch blocks. Once you have a few of those, you can play around with them and see what you might want to do next.

Creativity starts with playfulness. It's next to impossible to be creative when you are bored or have a desire to be doing something else. So give yourself permission to have some fun - whatever that might be.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:10 PM

My husband has been sitting in front of his computer from 7 am to 2pm watching the Olympics live, then he watches the NBC show in the afternoon and evening, so I spent most of the week going thru my fabrics getting them on comic book boards. Rather shocked to find I had 60 different Halloween fabrics, 20 different Thanksgiving/fall fabrics and over 150 different Christmas fabrics. That did not include the scraps I couldn't get on the boards. You can tell where my weakness is for buying fabric. I wrapped the kid's fabric a few months ago and never bothered to count it. I did find a lot of fabric I forgot I had. And I pulled out 2 UFO's to work on. And then my daughters came over on Saturday, we went to a friend's bridal shower and just left this evening and I had not touched either of my projects.

Not sure why I don't just go sew - but I don't. And the heat does distract my concentration some. Also, I am not thrilled with the arrangement of the fabric, so need to give it more thought.

It is so nice to know that I am not alone with the lack of productivity.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:36 PM

I came back home from our family summer place up in Northern Finland ( 8 hrs by train) about a week ago. The first few days I just stared at my sewing machine. The next couple of days I spent staring at fabrics. Finally made two pot holders for my sis - we spent most of the week picking blueberries and I baked pies for her family. Maybe soon I'll actually start piecing s-g, now I'd just want to go out and walk in the woods.
Attached Thumbnails pie-pot-holders-back.jpg   piirakka-patalappu1.jpg  

Last edited by hevemi; 08-05-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: missing picture
Old 08-05-2012, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
Oh gosh, I am right there with you. No good reason except my self-diagnosed adult ADD. I don't know what is keeping me from quilting. I have made a bunch of doll clothes and pajama pants, but, still have "Plenty 'o time" to quilt, but am easily distracted. Maybe something will "click" and I'll be back to it.
I've got a quilt for a gal at church on my table that needs only a minimum amount of work------------but here I am making a new purse instead. Purse is going to be ugly. I used turquoise for trim but it's not working. bottom of purse and closing flap are leftovers from a couple of GD's dresses. Oh, and I've got a big fabric doll to sew and stuff for GD's first birthday in as few days.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by hevemi View Post
I came back home from our family summer place up in Northern Finland ( 8 hrs by train) about a week ago. The first few days I just stared at my sewing machine. The next couple of days I spent staring at fabrics. Finally made two pot holders for my sis - we spent most of the week picking blueberries and I baked pies for her family. Maybe soon I'll actually start piecing s-g, now I'd just want to go out and walk in the woods.

The pie is cute but it took my mind a couple minutes to turn it to see what it was.