Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tub or Washing Machine? >

Tub or Washing Machine?

Tub or Washing Machine?

Old 04-04-2013, 12:20 PM

Default Tub or Washing Machine?

Stupid question time...

I've got an XL capacity washer, but there's no WAY that any of my 3 quilts would seem to wash 'properly' and get enough agitation to remove glue/basting spray, etc while NOT getting ruined by the spiral-agitator-thingy...let alone whether they would even FIT in there. Would they?

Needless to say, I haven't washed ANY of my first quilts other than pre-washing the fabric before starting.

Do you really wash in the WM, or do you toss it in the tub? Or take it to a commercial laundry where they have a BIG washer?
Old 04-04-2013, 12:30 PM

I have xl capacity also, and I wash my quilts without problems; have done K. fluffy comforters. I do hang them outside to dry tho. I have a quite heavy K quilt that I'm getting worried about--probably go to laundrymat or send to laundry....heck, maybe I'll give that one a go. So far, Q. is the largest I've done, other than the comforters. Just have to fill to max, work it all down into water and ''let 'er go". I spin twice. I am not afraid.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

I washed my hand quilted queen size in my regular washer with an agitator. Then put it in the dryer and had no problems with it. That's the one the grandson said "wow, grandma, this one looks like it is store bought!" He meant it as a compliment and I took it that way!!
Old 04-04-2013, 12:49 PM

I have an HE washer now, but had one with an agitator before. I have used both of them for washing quilts. I was with warm or cool water (depends on the quilt and what I used in the process) on gentle then tumble dry low. If I used basting spray (don't anymore since I have a longarm now) I would use warm water. Never had a "stitch" of trouble.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:50 PM
Power Poster

I've washed my big (queen or larger) in my XL machine, and do fine. I dry in the dryer, too.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Power Poster

I know I've washed king size before. but all I mainly want to do is soak them, spin out and soak again. I may agitate a couple of minutes and then spin out. dryer is all right but I take them out and fluff and put back in a few times.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:38 PM
Power Poster

I do like nativetexan. I have a super capicity w/agitator. I push the quilts up and down several times with my hand or a piece of broom handle. I do this while it is in wash water and rinse water. I guess it makes me feel like it is gatting washed and rinsed better. I have washed all of mine like this. I dry in the dryer on low heat, then spread on my glass topped dining table and leave it over night.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:36 PM
Power Poster

I have an extra large front loader. I personally don't think there's enough water to do a quilt so I take it to a laudromat & use one of the large washers. I had no problem with my old top loader, gentle agitation and stand right there to redistribute the load as it spins.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:38 PM

I've washed and dried my quilts had home with no problem. My largest is queen size, no problem with it.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by mermaid View Post
I have xl capacity also, and I wash my quilts without problems; have done K. fluffy comforters. I do hang them outside to dry tho. I have a quite heavy K quilt that I'm getting worried about--probably go to laundrymat or send to laundry....heck, maybe I'll give that one a go. So far, Q. is the largest I've done, other than the comforters. Just have to fill to max, work it all down into water and ''let 'er go". I spin twice. I am not afraid.

I've done a king-sized quilt in my top-loader washer without problem. I also used the dryer, again, without problem.