Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: tumbler quilt

Blog Entries

tumbler quilt

I love the help and ideas I get here.

I am going to make a tumbler quilt and buying pieces of fabric already but I have seen the templates (individual ones) from 3 inches to 10 inches. What is the average? I am using all zig zag types of fabric so I want it big enough to show the pattern but not so big it makes you dizzy to look at it.

Thanks for your advice.

Evelyn
    Evelyn

The ones I use are 5" or 10" designed to use on precuts. I also cut them out on yardage. They are easy and fun to make.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Blog Entries
    I love tumbler blocks so much I bought the tumbler die for the Go machine. I use the 6 1/2" size the most.
    Got fabric?

I just finished a small tumbler quilt using just a charm pack to see what it would look like. I used the cardboard from the pack as my template. Measure in 1 inch from each side on the bottom and draw a line from there to each top corner. Cut off excess and you have a nice sized template to use. It went together very well and I think I will make a bigger one now.

Blog Entries
    I wanted to use some charms so I made myself a template. five inches across the bottom and I think three across the top, smaller end. worked fine. you might want larger to show more of your fabric. draw some out and cut out of paper to see how they might work.

Blog Entries
    I had this saved in my Favorites. it's neat too, take a look. http://www.ohfransson.com/files/new-wave-quilt-4.pdf

Thank you Nativetexan for that link!
    Sewbeadit
    W. Washington

My latest project is a mini tumbler table topper. I got the 2-1/2" template from Missouri Quilt Co. Couldn't find a tumbler template of any size at my local Joann.

A tip if you make your own cardboard tumbler (which you may already know). Use the cardboard as a guide, but lay your ruler over the top of it to make the cut.

Don't know what it is, but I absolutely adore the tumbler pattern.

Blog Entries
    My gosh that is such a clever pattern and I have the 6 inch tumbler template already. I love the sashing strips how it waves so now I think that would just set off my chevron frabrics perfectly.
    Evelyn

Blog Entries
    http://www.deepbluetemplates.com/Qui...ale-s/1860.htm These people are here in WA state but deliver anywhere and if they don't have it they can make it. I have requested rulers at a certain width and length. They did not have the 6 inch tumbler in their collection but made me one and had it in 48 hours.
    Evelyn