Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tumbling blocks question

Blog Entries

Question Tumbling blocks question

I am thinking of purchasing the book byABC tumbling blocks by Marci Baker. My question is do I need the clear triangle ruler that she sells? Or does a regular ruler work also? I imagine it is a little harder do use though. I was going to place the order but it is more expensive than I thought it was. Don't know if I want to spend all that money on a ruler. I would probably use it again though, just wondering. Beth

quiltingfan, craftybear posted a link to a free pattern that includes paper piecing instructions. I'm not familiar with the book you're talking about but there are a lot of ways to avoid specialized ruler purchases. Paper Piecing: Tumbling Blocks Free Pattern
    OVER THE RAINBOW JANE is the name of my Dear Baby Jane----though it should be poor, neglected & may never ever be finished baby jane!
    http://retrofabulous-retro.blogspot.com

Blog Entries
    Yea!! My problem with that is I don't know how to paper piece, I have looked at tutorials and seen youtube videos about it, but my mind can't comprehend that method. I think I actually need to go to a class and maybe that would help me understand paper piecing.

Blog Entries
    years ago, as a newbee quilter, i made marci baker's tumbling blocks without a special ruler. wish i had known to starch heavily due to the bias sides. and it was my first real quilt!!! from your previous posts, i'm certain that you can do this quilt
    Nancy in western NY

Quote Originally Posted by quiltingfan View Post
    I am thinking of purchasing the book byABC tumbling blocks by Marci Baker. My question is do I need the clear triangle ruler that she sells? Or does a regular ruler work also? I imagine it is a little harder do use though. I was going to place the order but it is more expensive than I thought it was. Don't know if I want to spend all that money on a ruler. I would probably use it again though, just wondering. Beth
    Personally, I like Marci's ruler. I took a class taught by her in Nov. and loved it.

I just made a pattern for a tumbling block wall hanging. It is made from squares and triangles. I will be glad to share it with you if you PM me. It doesn't have y seams. So many pattern makers develop a pattern Southey can sell all the special rulers, etc. anyway that seems to be my opinion.

I do not know if JoAnn's has a ruler 60 degree that you could buy with a coupon. Kcs

Do you plan to hand piece or machine piece? I have the ruler it was easier to cut with it instead of using the angle lines on the other rulers.

wow, I just went to the website and saw the price on those templates....they are quite expensive. It looks like it takes a regular 60 degree triangle template.....available at JoAnn w/ coupon.....Have you tried amazon or half.com to see if there is a better price somewhere else. Sometimes the original website is more expensive than other sites for same product...Shoppers Rule is another possible source

Blog Entries
    Thanks guys... still deciding what to do. Have to buy a ruler since I do not have one. Will keep you posted.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast