Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tumbling blocks >

Tumbling blocks

Tumbling blocks

Old 03-31-2010, 08:07 AM

Anyone have a good pattern for a "tumbling blocks" design? I saw a beauty once in a popular magazine (forget which one!) and cannot find it even by googling. It's not for a baby quilt. There is an Amish pattern but the lights and darks don't seem to be consistent. I've always wanted to do one. Thanks!
Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 AM

hee hee hee... I started one years ago... I have it at home, I can bring it, I didn't purchase it (it was a free download, from Fons and Porter I think), so I can scan it and email it to you, if you want to PM me your email address. The pattern I have has a split in the top of each block, so there isn't a y-seam. Let me know if you'd like it.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:15 AM

Here is a paper pieced version.

http://www.quilterscache.com/T/TumblingBlocksBlock.html

Here is a strip pieced version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWpSETMbws4
Old 03-31-2010, 08:47 AM

I've always liked Marci Baker's version--Not your Grandmother's Tumbling Blocks. It's a strip pieced method without Y seams. It was on Simply Quilts. Here's the tutorial: http://www.hgtv.com/decorating/tumbl...cks/index.html

I also have the little booklet that I purchased from Alicia's Attic during the Paducah Quilt Show. It may be out of print now but I'm sure there are used copies for sale.

Beverly
Old 03-31-2010, 09:18 AM

Thanks everybody so very much! Now I know why I joined this board! All of these look like fun!
Old 03-31-2010, 02:23 PM

I am working on a seven sisters quilt at the moment that is the same blocks as a tumbling block. I am using "not your Grandmother's Tumbling Blocks" pattern by Marci Baker. T he cluster of stars are lavender moda solid and the back ground is white. I have a pretty lavender and white print to use for a border. This pattern is really a great one..kudos to Marci for coming up with the idea. I have always loved the seven sisters quilt but..after much frustration..I just could not get the blocks to join together with percision...so I gave up. I saw Marci on tv and loved her idea. So..now I have 70% of the blocks completed. I will post pictures when it is complete. Enjoy